Project Proposal — Evelyn Castillo

Throughout my research I gained the understanding that gender disparity is deeply rooted into the medical system that even women can dismiss a woman’s own pain not because they want to but because gender bias has been taught for centuries around the world. Women are still labeled as over emotional and taught it is a bad thing but what if we see this as a positive thing, what if we listen and try to comprehend their pain. What if we put more time in researching women’s symptoms and we take the time to research and find cures. Not only for women, but the wellness of people in general. The wellness of women is just as important as any other.

My primary audience will be female medical researchers and medical workers because I think women are more likely to have empathy towards others therefore it would be easier to transmit my message to them.

I plan to work on a video essay because I think I can add stories about women who have been misdiagnosed and dismissed and I believe it will be more entertaining and easy to understand rather than something complex.

I first plan to find stories about misdiagnosis and pain dismissal, then add the research I have done. I will also add interviews and end up closing with the main message [listen to them].
I do not have worries about the project.

I will be using the following mentor text: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGhe13nY2sg . The reason why I chose this mentor text is because it feels inspirational to think, to take action and have solidarity with each other as a woman to think about others and be empathetic and undertaking of others.