Reading Response to Malcolm X — Ludovic

Part A:

N/A, Didn’t have time to print out the paper. 

Part B: 

“As I see it today, the ability to read awoke inside me
some long dormant craving to be mentally alive. I certainly wasn’t
seeking any degree, the way a college confers a status symbol upon its
students. My homemade education gave me, with every additional book
that I read, a little bit more sensitivity to the deafness, dumbness, and
blindness that was afflicting the black race in America.” (Paragraph 16).

Malcom X often reflected on the new possibilities that literature provided for him. Right there in prison, he realized that reading had irreversibly altered the course of his life. The ability to read, as he experienced it during his time, awoke within him some deep sleep longing to be mentally active.He wasn’t looking for a degree in the way that a college imparts a symbolic value on its students. Malcom X’s DIY education provided him a little bit more awareness of how black race were being crippled and having lack of education in America during his day with each additional book that he read.

2 thoughts on “Reading Response to Malcolm X — Ludovic”

1. Yes, I totally agree with your point of view. He wasn’t just getting a degree to show off, like some people do in college. Instead, he read books and taught himself, which helped him understand the issues facing the black community in America, like not having enough education. The more he read, the more he was able to see these problems.

2. Very Good work on translating into your own words each part of this quote! Also good choice of a significant quote.

But you must make sure you print out and bring your annotated copy to class! My suggestion is to use the computer center and print out ahead of time.