Final Course Reflection

Final Course Reflection

Due Monday, May 23 in the Google Drive before class!

No need to submit to BB

Dear Class:

Congratulations for making it to the finish line.  Some of you have risen to the occasion with dedication and resilience.  I am so proud of you. Some of you have a ways to go. So maybe it takes a little longer. Being a college student requires maturity. If you really want to achieve your goals here at City Tech, with some reflection and modifications, you will eventually get there.  The upcoming spring semester will be a chance for a new beginning 

As a teacher, I too learn from you as students.  Undoubtedly, I will teach ENG 1101 again, so I appreciate your feedback on what worked well for you this semester and what needs adjustment for the future. 

As the Final Reflection, you will work in the genre of a letter:  You will write a five-paragraph letter to me (Start with Dear Professor Wu,) reflecting back on the semester as a whole and evaluating our course from your perspective.  This Reflection Letter is absolutely required to receive a Final Grade for the course.  You should feel free to be frank and constructive and compassionate and add any additional comments and insights you may have.  A well-written, thoughtful, and insightful Reflection Letter will help your final course grade.  Remember to PROOFREAD for grammar and sentence errors.  I look forward to reading your letter.

Good luck on all your finals and have a restful summer break! 

Best Wishes,

Professor Wu

_______________________________________________

2 fully developed pages

typed as a letter beginning:  Dear Professor Wu,

and ending:  Sincerely, 

Your Name

______________________________________

• Salutation: Start your letter with:  Dear Professor Wu,
  • Body:  To write the body of the letter, use the 20 questions below to write a short paragraph for each of the 5 parts.  You will have 5 paragraphs for the body of your letter. You may have more to say on some questions/sections than others, and that’s OK. DO NOT put the numbers or copy the questions; DO turn your answers into a paragraph for each section.
  • Closing: Close with a proper sign-off: Sincerely, Your Name
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Part I. Class Readings and Writings:
  1. Which was your favorite reading of this semester? Why?
  2. Which was your favorite writing assignment? Why?
  3. Did you enjoy working on the Reflective Annotative Bibliography? Why or Why not?
  4. Which was your least favorite reading and writing assignment? Why?                  Readings for Fall 2022 semester: Caroline Hellman’s “In Defense of the Classroom,” Frederick Douglass’s “Learning to Read,” Malcolm X’s “Prison Studies,” NYTimes Inteview: “Malcolm X, Laurence Fishbourne and the Theatre of Your Mind,’ ” Amy Tan’s “Mother Tongue,” Colin Powell’s “My American Journey,” Esmeralda Santiago’s “When I Was Puerto Rican,” Barack Obama’s Chapter 4 Dreams from My Father, William Siu’s “I Make Video Games,”  Ruth Bader Ginsberg’s “Advice For Living.”

Part II.  Technology

1. How did you manage the Open Lab online part of our class?
  2. Did you do all the 19 Open Lab HWs for the semester?  Did you do thoughtful work on these HWs?  Did you turn in on time — Why/Why not?
  3. Did you participate in the required peer reviews on Open Lab —  Why/Why not?
  4. Do you have any suggestions on ways to improve student participation of  Open Lab activities?

Part III. Teacher/Class

1. Which of the writing or revision strategies we practiced in English 1101 can you imagine carrying with you to other courses? which strategies?  which courses?
  2. Did you ever meet with me individually? If yes, was the visit productive?
  3. Think back on the written comments I have given you on your papers. Which kind of comments were the most helpful?  Least helpful?  Why?
  4. What specific suggestions do you have for me as the teacher? What specific suggestions do you have for changes to the class?
  5. Distribution of time allotted for each Unit:  Do you think we spent too much time or not enough time on any of the Units?  I would be interested in your ideas for improvement here.

Part IV.  Outside of Class Activities

1. Were you able to attend any of the extra credit activities or events? How was this activity or event valuable to you?
  2. TWO visits to the Writing Tutors were required. How many times did you meet with the Writing Tutors? Were these meetings productive for you?

Part V. You as a Student

1. Did you enjoy being in person compared to previous on-line school semesters? Why or why not?
  2. How would you evaluate your own performance in this class? What tasks were difficult for you?  How could you have improved on that?  How would you evaluate your participation in class?  In what ways have you contributed?  If you are satisfied and proud of your performance, what skills helped you? 
  3. How would you evaluate your own progress as a writer over the course of this semester? In what ways are you now stronger?  In what areas do you need more practice?  
  4. In this class, we worked on each Major Unit Writing Assignment in a step-by-step manner.  What have you learned about writing as a PROCESS?
  5. If you could change one thing about your own performance in class this semester, what would it be?
  6. What have you learned about being a college student? What will you do differently next semester?
  7. If you work outside of school, how many hours? What is your job? Do you think this work interferes with or enhances your schoolwork?  OR have you had family duties that interfere with or enhance your schoolwork? Explain.

Do not forget to close your letter with a proper sign-off: 

Sincerely,

Your Name