Intro — Diego

I am Diego Lopez. I am a Chicano, which is a term that defines U.S. born people of Mexican descent. I am fortunate enough to be fluent in both English and Spanish. I am the eldest of three boys. I currently live in Queens alongside North Brooklyn. I enjoy public transportation, but I wish there was higher maintenance to the services. I like to connect with nature, whether it be by going to the park, beach, orchard, or hiking. I graduated from High School for Construction Trades, Engineering and Architecture, where I had been an architecture major. I exclusively went to HSCTEA because of the architecture program that offered insight to drafting and software usage. I had known from an early age that I wanted to be an architect. However, as I am growing up, I am coming to the realization that every career is broad. I am still figuring out what specifically I want to do in the architecture field.

As a Chicano the dilemma of cultural identity does not cross my mind because I am only first generation born in the U.S. This makes it easier for me to appreciate and preserve Mexican culture while not living in Mexico. I consider every visit to Mexico very sacred. I wish I was able to travel more frequently to Mexico, as it is where majority of my family lives. Alongside the pride for my Mexican heritage I also want to learn more about my Indigenous heritage. I feel that the most common similarity between the U.S. and Mexico is the suppression of indigenous influence and culture. Although most aspects of Mexican culture are extremely influenced by indigeneity, the credit is not given where it’s due.

My current plans for my future are: to obtain a college degree, get a job, move out, travel the country and abroad, and meet new people along the way. My favorite artist is Omar Apollo, he’s relatively new but his music is extremely profound to me. My top recommendations are: “Ice Slipping” “Ugotme” and “Endlessly.” I am an avid music listener, my genres range from bachata, cumbias, indie, pop, r&b, reggaeton, norteñas, hip-hop, Brazilian funk, bossa nova and many more. I enjoy taking photos of animals, scenery, the sky, and structures.

2 thoughts on “Intro — Diego”

1. Majority of the kids I know from middle school when to CTEA. That. was also one of the High schools I wanted to attend but since I moved from the area I went to a closer High school. I think its cool that you like to travel and you want to take pride and learn more about your culture. Its nice to know that you have life goals and something your working towards.