RAB Source entry 2- Dylan

Dylan M

Part 1. MLA Citation  

Rojas, Nikki. “Is Drill Music Chronicling Violence or Exploiting It?” Harvard Gazette, 9 Nov. 2023, news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2023/03/is-drill-music-chronicling-violence-or-exploiting-it/. 

Part 2 summary  

This article is about how drill music started and how problematic it has become, desensitizing us from all of the violence and disruption in black communities. The article Also explains how slippery of a slope demonizing this sub-genre of music is. This article discusses the origin of drill music, stating that it was created in the 2010’s, and ever since then, it has become more and more destructive within the Black community. Benjamin Alexander states his issues when he is giving his opinion on the sub-genre: “”The conversation was definitely a reflection of how nuanced the topic .” Stuart is a sociologist from Stanford who explains why we can’t just write off drill music as bad. He claims that it “gives the carceral system ammunition against young black men. The most captivating quote of the article that I believe captures the true problem is “is the risk of feeding the idea that Black culture is more destructive than other cultures. At the same time, the assistant professor of sociology and African American and Black diaspora studies at Boston University noted that examination of drill cannot ignore the individuals affected by the genre.” Stated by panelist Saida Grundy. 

Part 3: reflection 

I believe that the writer’s points were very important, and the things that they discussed made me see this conversation in a whole new light. For example, a very knowledgeable man named Benjamin Alexander said that “I definitely reflect on my role as a student and a consumer. What does it look like to think about the extent to which I’m complicit and contributing to some of the issues of violence that we see?” which made me realize that, as an avid consumer of this music and someone who is keeping up with new songs or drama, I am also a part of the problem. This source told me that maybe I am not reading deep enough into things that caused Drill music to even begin. Another quote from the article that resonated with me was “in a way, we have become too numb and too desensitized to the literal words that are being spoken in this music.” these words were said by a former teacher whose student was murdered and mentioned in a song, But, they were right and we as a nation are so desensitized to people dying whether the reason is mass-shootings, terrorist attacks, gang related violence or even domestic abuse. We sit by and just wait for things to be better with the most effort being a protest or a petition. I selected this source because of the intellectuals and Artists I recognize and/or respect in this article. Most are people of color like me, and they have all done their research and they care about the topic at hand. They realize their influence, so they treat the topic with a lot of caution. I do agree with the information the author presents, they speak a lot about the hypocrisy of media outlets and how they love to praise drill when it is convenient, but also downplay it and point out its negative effects after. I learned how slippery of a slope commenting on drill music is, obviously it is bad how people are being murdered and it is being used in songs. But demonizing Drill music as a whole, puts a bad stigma behind rap music and rap culture. “Cautioned that villainizing drill music gives the carceral system ammunition against young Black men.” The other information that I would like to find in more articles is how it is affected communities. The type of people who started this music, how it became so popular and why kids look up to drill artists. If I could say anything to this author I would say thank you for opening up my eyes and helping me speak about drill music with more caution and less negativity. At the end of the day most rappers are just a product of their environment.  

Part 4: Rhetorical Analysis 

This article is about a collaboration of opinions around the sensitive sub-genre of rap music, Drill. Nikki writes with an informative tone, with the purpose of her article being a collection of ideas with other well-versed hip-hop listeners or hip-hop artists. Including multi-nominated and Grammy-winning Lupe Fiasco. The author doesn’t have an intended audience; Nikki wants her and her peer’s words to be spread to whoever will listen to them. They are some of the only people with notoriety to address how damaging drill music is and the problems it has brought to our communities. This article was an opinion/conversation piece bought to us by many educated people of color who see the bigger picture and the problems in our neighborhood. I believe that this article is very effective with getting its point across as it completely opened my eyes to the stigma behind demonizing drill music. Although drill music is bad it is only a product of the circumstances that these young people have been put through. They were raised around violence and criminalizing this genre of music will get many unfortunate kids discriminated against because of their participation in the music. I believe the author is credible because of the people around her, she has Dee-1, Brandon Terry the John Loeb. Associate professor of social sciences and co-director of the institute on policing, incarceration and public safety at Hutchins Center. Professor Forrest Stuart of Sociology at Stanford, and many more. This information is current, it was written on March 16th 2023. There are numerous reasons why it could have been discussed between multiple rappers dying. Groups of gangs going to jail on RIco Charges and unsolved murders and that’s just in New York City, this is a nation-wide spread of violence pushed through different types of consumerism. 

Part 5: Notable Quotables 

“Forrest Stuart, professor of sociology at Stanford, cautioned that villainizing drill music gives the carceral system ammunition against young Black men. The MacArthur Fellow’s current research finds that some prosecutors and police are using defendants’ involvement with drill music,” 

“One problem with confronting the issues surrounding drill music, panelist Saida Grundy said, is the risk of feeding the idea that Black culture is more destructive than other cultures. At the same time, the assistant professor of sociology and African American and Black diaspora studies at Boston University noted that examination of drill cannot ignore the individuals affected by the genre.” 

“The media is partly to blame, Dee-1 said. He called out music website Pitchfork for publishing an article titled “The Exploitation of New York Drill Hits a Disturbing New Low,” despite being the same publication that ranked the top 11 songs “that define Chicago Drill.”” 

“. He recalled the time one of his slain students was memorialized by family and friends at a funeral with music glorifying violence”