Practice Reflection-Taniesha

I agree with the author, Berliner, about schools killing curiosity because while I myself have never experience being shut down by a teacher but in elementary school, I’ve seen many of my peers raise their hand to ask a question just to be turned down by the teacher saying, “Now’s not the time for questions.” or “All questions will be answered at the end of this lesson.” In which none of these questions were ever asked, this led me to not even raise my hand to ask a question even if I was confused about the lesson. I instead asked my peers instead of the teacher, this went on to this day in which I only focused on getting higher grades than satisfying my own curiosity about any of the lessons. I learned from this text that the education system is in fault that curiosity is being stifled in children. 

2 thoughts on “Practice Reflection-Taniesha”

1. I feel the exact same way because of how the teachers respond, I never raised my hand. I always hear “Now is not the time,” which made me feel like there was never a right time to be curious. I also used to ask my peers as well but that led to the teacher saying that I shouldn’t talk during their lesson. You’re lucky to have never experienced it because it is very embarrassing when they turn down your question.

2. I’ve experienced this many times and have felt the same way. It gives you a very discouraging feeling and kind of causes you to disengage when the teacher dismisses you while you are just trying to ask a question. I also would ask my peers but feel i would’ve benefited more having my questions be answered by the teacher instead of being told it wasn’t the time.