Shitty First Drafts – Diego

Part A:

Writing a first draft is more about the process because each draft will be revised and be a slightly different variation from the original. As Lamott states in the excerpt “the first draft is the down draft. The second draft is the up draft. And the third draft is the dental draft, where you check every tooth…” Lamott describes what happens in each part of the drafting process. The first part is to dump every thought on the paper, the second part is to find the details that support your paper, and the third part is to make sure your supports make your paper strong. Everyone’s writing is not perfect on the first try. Therefore, the first draft needs to be revised to demonstrate your claim with a strong structure.

Part B:

“Just get it all down on paper because there may be something great in those six crazy pages that you would never have gotten to by more rational, grown-up means. There may be something in the very last line of the very last paragraph on page six that you just love…” This sentence means to endlessly write down your thoughts on paper because at some point of your writing you can find something interesting that you want to expand and use to fortify your writing. This resonates with me because I find it hard to find a place to start my writing. The difficulty of finding somewhere to start prolongs my writing process and makes me procrastinate. If I try to write down everything I think and then revise my work, I can find areas where my paper can get stronger.