Mentor Quote-Taniesha

“LEAD by example!”

My god-brother Corey has always had a big impact on my life even though we don’t talk much he always made sure to give me great advice whenever we see each other. “Don’t get a boyfriend yet, Taniesha”.Or, “Don’t let the work overwhelm you.”When I was a small kid around the age of nine, my mother,my grandma and I were invited to his highschool graduation where he was valedictorian. I don’t remember much from that day but I do remember that he had the entire audience crying from his speech and a few words from his speech. He had said “Life isn’t always about satisfying others, it’s about making yourself happy and living life to the fullest.” At the moment, it didn’t mean much to me but now that I’m older, I understand what he meant.

Recently, my god-brother just got married and my mother, my uncle and I were invited and took the opportunity to ask him about how college was for him, and he told me, “College can sometimes be hard, it can overwhelm for you but never push yourself to hard, make sure to take care of yourself. Do not let college take over your life.” I felt like he wed speaking from his own personal experience in college, so I decided that I will follow his advice and any other advice that he gives me in the future. 

2 thoughts on “Mentor Quote-Taniesha”

1. Having a god brother like that is a gift. I don’t even know him and ima try to remember his quote because it sounds so real. He’s already motivating me. And I also grateful to read this and i’m glad you wrote this. Im the brother in the family, the cousin in the family, the in the group that everyone was has high expectations for. It’s scary tho to have such impression on people, because your only afraid to mess up.

2. All of the quotes you included are so motivating and makes me wanna live by them. I feel like i live to satisfy others and its never really for myself and i often don’t do things for me or do them how i want to do them because of the need to satisfy others and because of that i don’t feel like I’m really living especially not for myself. I’m glad you have someone like that it sounds amazing to have someone to remind you about the good things in life and to just enjoy it and live it to the fullest . It definitely motivated me to not always take things so seriously and to just go with the flow and enjoy life the way its supposed to be enjoyed and now its gonna be a little reminder to myself so thank you for sharing that.