Writing task Mentor Quote-Faustina Gyamfi. (Update)

“Faustina, you are not smart enough to go to college.”

These words were said by my brother Reindolf. I was in the living room watching one of my favorite movies called Fast Furious (F9) when he walked in from school and slammed the door. At that time, I use to watch movie every day. I felt ashamed because I watched tv instead of doing my works. These words really hurt me because I know I am not lazy. I found myself crying. It feels like my heart is coming out. My mum came in and saw me crying on the couch. I explain what my brother has told me. This became the topic of the night. They Both started an argument.

The reason I was failing my math class is because I just move to the United States. The education system here was hard for me. Reindolf wouldn’t help me with my Homeworks even though, he is a very good student.

I said to myself that I am very smart, and I will prove it to him.

In high school of my senior year, I was asked to write prompt essay which I knew I can write it, but I said, ” Let me try my best.” I started writing it but wasn’t sure of what I was writing, I submit it anyways even though I was sure of what I was writing. So, I want to school next day, and my college counselor Ms. Davis called me to her office and said, “Omg you did really good on your essay.” To honest I myself was shocked because I had no idea what I was going to write about. This gave me the confidences and ” I said am very smart” I started learning for my exams, doing my Homeworks, participating in class. My brother’s words made me push myself so hard.

3 thoughts on “Writing task Mentor Quote-Faustina Gyamfi. (Update)”

1. Faustina:

Wow — this short writing makes me feel for you. Why is your father so hard on you? What was his background in his own country? Does he treat your male siblings differently? Is there a religious or cultural reason for his doubt towards you and his praise of your brother. (You told me he praises your older brother.) In your family do boys and girls get treated equally?

Now you need a few more details to fully develop this.

IN the opening scene when you father says these words to you, can you describe more what you were watching on tv, what the living room and tv room looks like, did he just walk in and say this to you? What was the build up to these words?

Prof. Wu

What were

2. “Faustina, you are not smart enough to go to college.”

These words were said by my brother. I was in the living room watching one of my favorite movies [name of movie] when he came [he came from where and his motions on coming into the room] and said “Faustina you so lazy, you are always watching tv or always on your phone. These words really hurt me because I know am not lazy. I think he said this because in my sophomore year in high school [details of your hardship in high school — was this because you had just moved to USA?] I was having twelve credits. He didn’t even to help me with my Homeworks. [Were you failing? What class?]

I CRIED [so tell me more].

My mother…..BIG FAMILY DRAMA! [show me with good description and detail]

But I said to myself that I am very smart, and I will prove it to him. [give examples of your smarts] I had had the experience of doing well on my college essay…..gave me confidence.

More examples of how you changed yourself? How did his words motivate you? What did you start doing differently?

Back in my country I wasn’t staying with my dad so I didn’t know staying with him in the US was going to hard for me. In my country men and women are treated the same. When I became a Junior, he was really surprised and shock because he didn’t think I will get the credit. I stared getting awards for my performances I became so happy. On my graduating day he came to me and said ” I didn’t believe you did it” I told him am very smart and I can do anything that I want to do in this life, and I will never give up if it doesn’t work at the first time.