Douglass and Resilience- Ikechukwu Okoro

Q3. “Learning to read can be a curse rather than a blessing”. Douglass compares him learning to read and understand his oppressors language to be a curse because with each book he read he learned more and more about his position. This temporarily closed the door for hope within Fredrick because he was almost convinced that his position as a slave was permanent. While learning about his role in society as a slave, he also grew angry. Fredrick couldn’t help but feel this way seeing how all his fellow slaves did not know what was going on around them due to their lack of education. He also resented the white man for earlier in the text he compares them to robbers talking about how the white man came to Africa and robbed them from their homes dehumanizing them into slave

Throughout my whole education journey I would have to say the biggest struggle for me would be finding balance between school and playing video games. I find it really hard to balance the two when new games that I like come out. I love playing video games. Sometimes time just passes by whenever I play. Especially around now when games like 2k and Call Of Duty drop their annual titles it’s hard for me to not put in a few hours so that I grind out the game. However, I learned over time that some days I will have to sacrifice in order to keep my grades up. It was difficult at first but change usually takes time.

A method that worked for me was putting my homework before gaming. Usually I will come home and get straight on the game. Now I come home and I get my homework done before I decide I want to play. I usually look at my classes to see what I have then I look at what is due and depending on the class, that is what I will get done first. After a while I grew accustomed to this change and now it is something I do without even realizing it. I noticed something about myself as well. I learned that I like to be organized that once I set a schedule in place I usually stick to it and follow it.

1 thought on “Douglass and Resilience- Ikechukwu Okoro”

1. Dear Ike:

So nice to read your strategy of doing the HW as soon as you arrive home. And so nice to learn that now this is becoming second nature. I smile when I read that you actually like being organized! You show maturity here and these organizing skills will get you far.

You are doing very well in class. Your participation during discussions is always on target and helpful to all of us when trying to understand the texts. Your HWs are well thought out and well written. Kudos to you and keep it up.

Best,

Prof. Wu

NOW Get HW 5 up here!