Douglas and resilience – Abdullah Khan

Part A:

Q3.

Douglass means that learning to read has brought him more worries than aspiration. The more he learns, the more he starts to understand the predicament he is in. In the same paragraph he also says, “It
 opened 
my
 eyes 
to 
the
 horrible 
pit, 
but 
to 
no
 ladder 
up on
 which
 to 
get
 out” This text supports the other part of the question in which now Douglas has realized that freedom is forever disappeared. In that period of time, becoming literate was downside for a slave for they would learn the truth about slavery and would lose all hopes of ever gaining their freedom back.

Part B:

One thing that has been hard for me during my own education journey is doing my homework. homework is my weak point. In high school, you were able to turn in HW late and i would do that every time. At end of every marking point or semester, i would turn in my HW and pass the class just by a little luck. now I’m in college so things aren’t gonna go my way so i hope i change. i mean I’m doing this HW so i guess I’m changing.

A coping strategy I’ve developed to increase my own resilience is positive self-talk. Something you just gotta have 1 on 1 with yourself and check in with yourself. Exercise is also another strategy on mine. It helps me clear my mind and makes me feel brand new. I’ve learned that I’m not as strong mentally as i thought i was.. it’s something I’m still working now and trying be a better me because no else can be you other than you.

1 thought on “Douglas and resilience – Abdullah Khan”

1. You: In that period of time, becoming literate was downside for a slave for they would learn the truth about slavery and would lose all hopes of ever gaining their freedom back.

I would add that becoming literate caused slaves to be unhappy with their place in life. Now they understood that slavery was an integral part of the society, they might organize to rebel. AND THEY DID! So not everyone remained hopeless. LIke Douglass, many fought back.

Part B: Can you give an example of a time positive self-talk helped you? What was your struggle then? What did you say to yourself?

You write: It helps me clear my mind and makes me feel brand new. Excellent strategy. NOW — Can you give details of how you use exercise to cope? What is your routine when you feel you are in a difficulty? Do you run, go to the gym? How do you feel after exercise? Is there a difference in your mind’s sharpness? Can you detail a specific time that exercise helped you? Maybe a math test you were studying for – or something like that. Give me a specific example with details of ONE episode in yourlife when exercise or postiive self-talk helped you through.