Douglass and Resilience-Jordan Wilson

Part A Q3-What Douglass meant by “Learning to read can be a curse rather than a blessing” is that having too much knowledge at the time(Slavery) was extremely hurtful to a person mental health. Reason being said was because it was during slavery and African Americans was not allowed to read or write. So in this case the less you know the better it would be for slaves, but it wasn’t the case for Fredrick Douglass the more he learned the more he realized that him and his people was getting treated unfairly. Also what he meant by ”Freedom was ever present to torment me”. Was that he was tired and exhausted. Also yes there is a down side to becoming Literate the more you know the more stressful it was at that time and he was probably overthinking also.

Part B-Something that has been hard for me during my educational journey was the transition to college.It was very and still is extremely confusing for me and sometimes it can just be to overwhelming for me to handle. One thing during this whole experience that made it even more confusing was the financial aid part- so far college made me pay for a lot of things and it stress me all the way out.

Now one thing thing college thought me was that it pays to pay attention and it is important to always be on time and not to give up no matter how hard something may be. Also the way I combat with all this is just putting my music in my ears and sometimes pray for better days and not force anything , and with this strategy college would and can be easy for me if I do all these steps and not get stressed out easily. Just like Fredrick Douglass I refuse to give up!!

1 thought on “Douglass and Resilience-Jordan Wilson”

1. Excellent work here Jordan!

Part A: Your explanation of the curse of acquiring more knowledge is very good! YOu did just what I asked. You answered all parts of Q3 completely.

Part B: Can you develop more: Can you tell me what exact parts of the college transition are hard?

Have faith in yourself — I believe you really can do this!