Faculty Name | Section | Semester

Shitty First Drafts

• Work on your own “shitty first draft”! Look at the material you’ve generated through brainstorming and freewriting, and use the process below to help you form your writing into a draft:
    • First, answer the following questions: 
      • What have you decided to focus on for your education narrative? Why have you chosen to tell this particular story?
      • What is the meaning/significance of your story? Why should people read it? Write this out in one sentence.
      • In one word, how do you want people to feel when they are done reading your story? 
      • Freewrite details you remember about the situation you are describing: include people, places, dialogue, feelings, thoughts, etc. that are in some way connected to your story.
    • Second, review what you have so far and try to label the features of your narrative arc. 
      • Exposition/Inciting Incident (who, what, when, where  and how does your story begin?)
      • Rising Action (you should include a lot of the story details here)
      • Climax (the moment of most drama and significance)
      • Falling Action (what happened after?)
      • Resolution (what was the result of this experience? What is the significance?)
    • On a new piece of paper (or a new screen) use all the writing and thinking you have done to draft your education narrative.

1. HectorP

My story will be surrounding my journey learning to play an instrument. I’ve chosen this topic because it represents a development or change in how I view education. The difference between a fixed mindset and a growth mindset will be a major focus of my writing. I want people to feel thoughtful when they are done reading.

2. Kyle

I decided to choose my experience with STEM because I felt like I had a lot of time in the STEM community so there were a few good and bad experiences. This is significant because I felt like I’ve been set in this direction for a while and I have still stuck with it to now. I remember in a lot of my classes I would work alone and not really interacting with people. In group projects I would typically work with people even though progress was usually slower when working with a group of people.

3. Fernando Guerrero

1.I have focus on me being mostly self taught and taught.I chose this part mostly cause I self taught myself things. The meaning of my story is so the reader can see some parts of my life and how I overcome them or need help. Why should my paper, you should read my paper because if you don’t I’ll start crying. After reading my paper I want people to feel normal. I remember myself being small and growing and learning cool things.

4. Christopher

I chose to focus on education itself, on my education narrative, mostly on the question of what education is. I chose a story between me and my dad that changed the way I viewed myself and the world around me. I classify this as education because my dad really taught me a valuable lesson that I will carry with me forever, which is why I chose it.

The significance of my story is what my dad teaches me. Education is not just what you learn in school, but in life and others as well. People should read it because they will probably relate to what my dad told me, which is to never set limits to myself. He told me I can be just as successful as anyone else, I just need to work hard on it.

I want readers to feel inspired, because thats what my dad made me feel after saying that. He really opened my eyes and made me want to make him proud in the future.

I dont really praise myself too much, and I feel like I don’t live up to my parents potential, so hearing my dad say this to me really made me feel appreciated and it showed me that he believed in me because he told me that he knows I can do it.

5. Angel

I have decided to base my rough draft off of a experience I had at a car meet. I chose this story because it really shaped how I became who I am. The significance of this story is my “origin story”. People should read this because it can help to inspire other to pursue there passions even if there weren’t dealt the same hand as others. One word that I want people to feel after they finish is inspired. Sone details I remember was my exact location and what it looked like. For example it was a big parking lot with grass surrounding

6. Emanuel

Decided to focus on why I switched my major/the mentality shift that came with it. I have chosen to tell this story as it is very relevant to why I am the way I am currently. The significance of this story is that it was the real start of my lifelong journey to where I want to be in the future, people should read it because it’s entertaining. People should be inspired. My older siblings, parents, how much life was kicking my ass at that moment in time, my significant other at the time, feeling angry a lot (not necessarily towards anyone else, mostly myself). My story begins December 2021, is still not done because my guidelines are still a work in progress, it starts with me.

7. Donaji Morales

I decided to focus on the importance of education for me and how we perspective if it changed over time. This particular story and moments of my life will come to explain a thinking process developed through time and observation. When having others read my story I want people to feel understood if our situation coincidental come to be relatable. This story will Include my thoughts and feelings from the beginning to the end. As well as, the feelings of my parents and there influence over me and my new POV.

My story begins from my a background of where I come from and what I represent as a daughter. Explaining my position and role that I was to fit as I got older. Immature and ignorant, arguing over why I had to be in school?, for how long?, what will I do after?. learning from my parents education background, the moment I had at the dentist with my mother to connect both accepts. Coming into realization, finally understanding the important’s of it through the living examples of my parents.

8. Jia Ni Wu

1. I have decided to focus on the topic of having to wear glasses because it has taught me a very important life lesson of how the fear of being judged can impact your life. 
    2. The meaning of my story is that you shouldn’t be afraid to do something beneficial for you just because of the people around you
    3. Inspirational
    4. School, classmates, nervous 
  9. Malachi

1) I decided to focus on how education changed for me through all schools. I chose this particular story because I learned how education is important in different ways.

2) The meaning of my story shapes on how I learned that education is important, and people should read it because people will have an understanding on why I want to learn.

3) Wow

4)One thing I remember is how my teacher told me that I don’t come to school because my parents have to go to work. It because you have to learn.

10. Chrisa2331

1.I decided to focus my my educational narrative on my stay in Mexico. The reason why is because it gave me a whole different perspective in life and showed me many valuable lessons.

2.The Significance of my story is the “lessons” which were taught to me based on work and lifestyle of the people there. It showed me how to not take for granted the lifestyle which I have lived and continuously live. People should read my narrative so they can learn a thing or two about how valuable their opportunities or lifestyles are.

3.Enlightened

4.The place is in a small town in Mexico with a lot of trees, grass, cactus, bugs. The people are family, and friends as well as people of the small town. The feelings are stress, tired, and relaxed. These all connect to the lifestyle and lessons I have learned.