Copyright a good idea gone bad?

A copyright is a simple rule giving authors the exclusive rights to their work for 28 years. Like a patent but simpler.
This was a great idea that has been copied by our founding fathers. Yet as the years have gone by this simple rule has morphed and become a monster for profiting. Now that companies are involved authors and companies can both profit excessively. Case in point Star Wars series of movies, how many releases, re-releases, and theatrical re-releases, can the world stand. Not to mention the current 3D release which will turn into part of the ultimate box set of 3D movies. It goes to show how an idea can be rehashed, regurgitated and revised with bells and whistles over and over again because of the current copyright laws. As long as it makes money companies and the authors be they dead or alive will gain from it.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Copyright a good idea gone bad?

1. cj says:

Star Wars movies was and always will be a very popular movie even until this day. I agree when you said about how many releases, re-releases, and theatrical re-releases, can the world stand? 3D is becoming so popular now that just about all movies are being made in 3d, so many producers and directors are coming out with re-makes of movies and they never out due the original one even though they may have asked the writer of the movie themselves who originally made it for there permission to do it again. Sometimes it is a success then sometimes it isn’t, the critics may always give them bad reviews and poor ratings. Regardless if they copyright anything or not,the business will still be making money no matter what.

2. ragoo8111 says:

I am for copyrights within limitations . Meaning there should be a ceiling on how much profits corporations can extract from a given application. I am also for the permission of artistic intervention. If as a fellow artist I have something positive to add to your work , give me permission. It encourages creativity and keeps cultures fluid and immortal. I see guys on the block whom an older genration would frown upon, put pen to paper and pen some of the most memorable lines that shape trends and therfore get recorded in history. Isn’t that the same as Shakespare maybe he was frowned upon before his work was declared genius. Maybe copyright in the wrong hands is like the concrete. In Tupac’s “The Rose That Grew From Concrete” . We will create a way to get past this profit driven obstacle….

3. David R says:

Copyright is essential in recognizing someone’s original work and talent but i agree that today it is used more for profit. In today’s society, money drives all that we do and with the current copyright laws, it is possible for the re-releasing of old material regardless if the original creator is still alive.
    With regards to star wars or the re-releasing of other old movies e.g. titanic 3-d, the sales speak for themselves when those re-releases still debut at 4th or 3rd place opening week, as was the case of the recent 3d release of star wars phantom menace movie. If people weren’t interested or intrigued then that movie wouldn’t have debuted at such a high place. Basically what I’m saying is that the demand was there for the re-release of Phantom Menace, and with today’s copyright laws profit was still made and continues to be made. Copyright wasn’t why the movies were re-released, but rather the creators knew the demand was there and via these laws, secured themselves additional profit as a by-product.

4. jr90fun03 says:

It is obvious that copyrights have gone bad. I agree with your blog all the way, I feel that works produced from the sweat and ideas of others are completely abominable. People who make profit from someone else’s hard work and dedication is considered to me as stealing and un-honorable. Not everything can be bought by money but copyrights are surly the case. Although copyrights are there to help protect our work, it only does it for a certain amount of years and than others can use it to replicate the work if it’s not renewed.