First OpenLab Assignment

Your first OpenLab Discussion assignment is to introduce yourself to your classmates.  This assignment is due Monday, February 5th, at the start of class. Late submissions will receive partial credit.

Assignment. Add a comment in reply to this post introducing yourself to the class.  Your comment should be at least 2 paragraphs in length.  In the first paragraph, introduce yourself in whatever way you wish. You could include your academic interests, why you chose your major, what you enjoy reading, listening to, watching, and doing in your spare time, or anything else you want to share (include your pronouns, if you wish).  In the second paragraph, choose ONE of the following two topics and write a response. Don’t forget to tell us which topic you chose.

Topics (choose ONE).

1. Was math ever your favorite subject? If so, when was it? What about math made it your favorite? If math has never been your favorite subject, what about it do you not like?
  2. Sometimes people can recognize a time when their opinion of math dramatically changed either for the better or the worse. Tell us about it.

Extra Credit. Get to know your classmates! For extra credit, write a response to one of your classmates’ comments. Do you feel the same? Did you learn anything? Do you have any advice? Be kind.

1. Yaileen Lopez

Hi there, I’m Yaileen, and I’m majoring in Med Imaging-AAS and Radiologic Tech. This major has consistently piqued my interest since it has always been something that caught my attention. I enjoy watching TV shows in my spare time. My favorite color is shades of pink and I love to go out and have fun with my friends on the weekends.

My favorite subject was math, which has so many interesting facts and tricky concepts. that you learn new strategies for grasping ideas and making connections between the dots to solve problems. the world of math problems can open up to you. additionally, how various approaches exist to solving the problems. word problems are the one aspect of math that I wouldn’t say I like since they can occasionally be difficult.

2. Christopher F.

Hello, my name is Christopher Ferguson. I am a freshman here at City Tech, and I am greatly enjoying my time here. My major is Computer Systems which I wasn’t sure about at first but I am noticing how interesting it is. Besides going to school I’m usually in the gym for most of the day. I don’t care for pronouns but to clarify I go by he/him.

My opinion of math changed greatly over the pandemic and i grew to dislike it greatly. Over the pandemic I picked up many bad habits and lost focus when it came to math. I personally feel that my life is much better when I don’t have to do formulas and big equations, but I do what I must. I’ll put my feeling aside in order to pass this course and move on in my progression.

3. Joselito Hernandez

Joselito Hernandez

Joselito Hernandez

MAT 1275

Prof. Lee

First Open Lab Assignment

Good evening my name is Joselito Hernandez, I am a transfer student from BMCC. I am currently majoring in Electronic Engineering. I chose this major of electronical engineering because I am fascinated by all the aspects it entails. Practically everything in this world is being run on electricity and my questions and visions of the electrical world is so vast that I want to learn more to be able to have answers to my own questions. A few of my academic interests are history and math. My hobbies include, restoring vintage speakers, receivers, collecting and playing records, hiking, bike riding, spinning vinyl records and watching action movies. I am a professional Master Barber, have been in this field of trade for 30 years now.  

Math is the one subject that many frown upon, but few cherish the joy of Math in our everyday life. Math became one of my favorite subjects when I took Statistics back in 2001, with this amazing professor who took his time to work with me one on one. He showed me how you could see math in everyday life. That adrenaline you have when your neutrons and protons are in the middle of achieving that computational outcome that you never thought will be flourishing in your brain, ah amazing feeling. I do struggle immensely with the amazing world of Math, but like anything in life practice makes perfect, and having a great patient tutor (my oldest older who currently attend University at Albany) helps me as well.

I look forward in learning more from my professor and passing this class with a great grade.

Sessions 1-2 Arithmetic

View Post

1

1 comment

2024/01/31 at 12:03 pm