Lee | Summer 2024 |

Reflection #3

Think about a time when you joined a new group activity (maybe a team, religious retreat, club, or workplace). 

• How did you feel when you first joined? 
  • Do you recall a moment when you felt like you were part of the group? 
  • What benefits did you get from participation in the group?
  • What can you do to help yourself feel like part of a group at City Tech? 

1. Tia Vaughan

I feel okay when I joined. I get to make new friends.

2. Pyrrhus

When I joined, I felt sad at the fact I was going to start all over again- to try and make new friends, and the fact that the summer was nearly over was making me melancholic. Today though, we were laughing at a joke we had just posted on the wall, and it was really nice to see others laugh at something I came up with. I feel like with enough time, I’m gonna get comfortable here.

• Victor Lee

Hello Ariel,

I think it might be necessary to switch your public name as it would make it easier for us to identify you.

3. Jacob Paz-Solano

A time when I joined a new club was in high school. I was worried on how I would fit in with the rest of the people in that club. To be honest I have no clue how I felt like to be a part of that group. I eventually fitted in with everyone else and I had a great time in a social aspect. I can make myself known to my peers and have a good time at CUNY City Tech.

4. Amaris Cruz

I joined dance club in my high school and I truly enjoyed it. I had previously danced in a lot of elementary school shows and missed dancing again. So when I found out my school had a dance class and a club I was excited and nervous to join. In the beginning I was not sure if I would join the club but as I saw my friends have an interest in going I decided to get into dance club with them. I remember I felt like I was apart of the group when my dance teacher had taken into account a recommendation that I gave for the formation of a dance. I felt heard and the group tried it out and everyone liked it so we kept that formation. From participating from the group I was able to dance at a nursing home during the holidays, and it was nice seeing the excitement people had for the club to go there. I also built really strong connections not only with my friends but also my teacher. I can try forming a dance club, however I also know about the Zumba club that is offered so I may consider joining that. Being able to learn Zumba would be a new experience for me and I can be as open as I was when I first joined dance club at my high school.

5. David Molina

I joined an after school program at my Highschool which I enjoyed as it gave me a feeling of how college would work out for me. When I first joined this program I felt nervous and intrigued at the same time as I knew that this program would be an excellent opportunity to learn and prepare myself for my future life style. I felt mostly nervous because I didn’t know anyone else in the program and wasn’t sure how to communicate with the other members. When my professor split us up into discussion groups to discuss a given topic about social norms present in our community. In this certain discussion I felt apart of my group as I began to realize and notice the similar ideas and mind set that I shared with my fellow peers. At the end of this discussion I even ended up exchanging phone numbers with some of the members in my group and made new connections and friendships through this college now class. The benefits that I received from participating in this group was that I was able to improve on my communication skills with people that I don’t know and strengthened my ability to self advocate myself because I had to speak up to my fellow peers and professor in order to finish the task at hand. I think that taking part in other group events such as a fitness class in order to make connections throughout City Tech and form bonds with people that will make me more apart of the community as well as more engaged with my college life by pushing myself out of my comfort zone.

6. Abigail L

A time in my life when I joined a new group activity was when I joined black student union after transferring to a new school. When I first walked through those doors, I felt scared that I wouldn’t fit in with my peers. But as meetings passed on and went by, I started to feel comfortable and developed very meaningful friendships. Throughout my time in Black student union I learned very important history and information. I also was able to gain experience in public speaking as we had to host events during school to promote our club.

7. Marjahan Akther

There was a program I joined, I was nervous when I first met the people there. Everyone was different in their own ways, there was a lot of diversity, I thought I wouldn’t fit in with them. However, I was wrong, the difference in us is what made us get closer and learn more about the world they live in. I learned that although we all came from different places, we all had some similar experiences/challenges which helped us become who we are.