Lee | Summer 2024 |

Reflection #1

What do you want your classmates to know about you? Consider sharing your goals as a college student, why you chose City Tech, what you hope to learn in your first semester at City Tech, or anything important to you.

Read other classmates’ posts and help welcome each other by writing a response.

1. Abigail L

My name is Abigail Lutula. I’m 17 years old and I chose to go to City Tech as it has an affordable and great dental hygiene program. I plan to become part of 3% of black dental hygienists in America. I can’t wait to get into the clinical phase of my dental hygiene major so I can get to the part where I actually learn about all things teeth. During my first semester at city tech I plan to learn how to manage my classes well so that I can be academically successful during my college years. I hope that my peers and professors are great.

• Nazia Mahmud

Hi Abigail,

That’s so cool that you want to become part of the 3% black dental hygienists in America! You will get to learn a lot in CT101 as well as in your first semester of class. I wish you all the best in your college career and your goals. Nice post!

2. brycegardner

Hi I’m Bryce Gardner. I am 17 years old and I chose to go to City Tech to get help with computer designing. I plan on becoming a game designer and a 3D model maker in the future. I’m really looking forward to getting help with it so that I can become a pro designer. During my first semester I plan to learn how all my classes work going forward and I really hope that all my professors support me.

• Maya Shaqiri

Hey Bryce!

Welcome to City Tech! It’s awesome that you’re pursuing your passion for game design and 3D modeling – those are exciting fields! Getting support and guidance from experienced professors and peers will definitely help you grow as a designer.

You’re taking the right approach by focusing on understanding how your classes work and building relationships with your professors. Don’t hesitate to ask questions, seek feedback, and attend office hours – they’re here to help you succeed! As a peer mentor, I’m excited to support you on your journey.

3. Jacob Paz-Solano

Hi all, I’m Jacob Paz-Solano and I chose to go to City Tech because not only is it affordable but I’ve heard great things about the school. As someone whom is a part of 2 different alumni groups, not only do I look forward to meet new people I look forward to expand my professional network and gaining perspectives from peers. I plan to become one of the Hispano community majoring business in fashion. I wish everyone the very best for what’s to come.

• Nazia Mahmud

Hi Jacob,

Business fashion is a great major. City Tech offers a lot of networking events, so look out for flyers or check your emails. City Tech also has a lot of clubs that can of your interest and major related. Nice post!

4. Tia Vaughan

I want to know if they are good. City tech is important to me because it could teach me so much about being a gamer.

• Amaris Cruz

My name is Amaris Cruz; I am born and raised in Queens. My sister used to come to City Tech for architecture and I remember coming with her when I was younger. Ever since then I have been interested ever since as I enjoyed its environment. I am going into the communication design field. One of my goals is to better my skills in communicating with others, I am usually very shy and for me doing extra activities such as this workshop acts as a way to get out of my comfort zone and hopefully make connections with other people. In my first semester I hope to better my art skills through new techniques and become more open to a variety of art forms because of my major.

• Maya Shaqiri

Hey Amaris!

Welcome to City Tech! It’s amazing that you have a personal connection to the college through your sister, and that you’ve been drawn to the environment since you were younger. Communication Design is a fantastic major, and I’m sure you’ll thrive in it!

I totally get it about being shy and wanting to push yourself out of your comfort zone. That takes a lot of courage, and I’m proud of you for taking this step! Getting involved in workshops and extracurricular activities is a great way to build connections. As a peer mentor, I’m here to support you, Amaris!

• Maya Shaqiri

Hey Tia!

City Tech is an amazing choice for you, especially if you’re passionate about gaming! While City Tech doesn’t offer a specific program in gaming, it has excellent programs in related fields like Computer Science, Information Technology, and Digital Media.

5. YakultAlex

Hi! I’m Alexander Diaz, and I like computer based design programs. I’m optimistic about my journey in the 2 year course on mechanical engineering. I hope I get to develop better studying habits and become a better presenter. I’ve heard city tech has a lot of resources, so that’s why I enrolled in this school.

• Nazia Mahmud

Hi Alexander,

Mechanical engineering is a great City Tech major. Study habits take time to get used to as it doesn’t happen over night. It’s important to have a routine that works best for you and to be consistent. Nice post!

6. Jonathan Harris

Hello, my name is Jonathan Harris I’m 18 years old. I chose to go to City Tech because I am a part of the SVA program which requires me to attend this college. I am here to achieve my degree in  Career & Technology Teacher Education. I hope to learn more about the college experience and understand what is expected of me and what I should expect from others around me. I would also like to meet new people who can help me further my career and maybe also help others with their aspirations as well.

• Maya Shaqiri

Hi Jonathan!

Welcome to City Tech! I’m glad you’re here as part of the SVA program – that’s a great opportunity! Pursuing a degree in Career & Technology Teacher Education is awesome, and I’m sure you’ll make a positive impact in the lives of your future students.

Navigating the college experience can be overwhelming at first, but don’t worry, you’ll find your rhythm soon. Be sure to attend orientation events, join clubs or organizations related to your major, and connect with your professors and peers. We’re all in this together!

7. David Molina

Hi, I am David Molina majoring in Mechanical Engineering Technology. I am 18 years old and I chose to attend City Tech in order to enter a STEM major at an affordable price as well as get the education required to obtain my degree. I would like to use my degree to obtain a job as an automotive engineer specifically in order to further learn the components, functions and structural systems in cars and other auto-mobile devices. The reason I chose this career path is that I have always been interested in cars and I feel that it would be a good career. In my first semester I hope to be able to learn and adapt to the college lifestyle and gain knowledge on the resources available at City Tech to help me plan and succeed in my classes to achieve my goal as efficiently as possible.

• Maya Shaqiri

Hi David!

Welcome to City Tech! It’s great to see you’re passionate about Mechanical Engineering Technology and have a clear goal in mind – becoming an automotive engineer! That’s awesome!

You’ve made an excellent choice by choosing City Tech for its affordability and quality education.

Adapting to college life can be challenging, but you’re on the right track by seeking resources and planning ahead. Make sure to check out the tutoring services, academic advising, and study groups available on campus. They’ll help you stay on top of your game!

Remember, I’m here to support you, David!

8. Makayla

Hi, My name is Makayla Boyd and I’m 18 years old. I chose to attend City Tech so I could study Dental Hygiene. I’m excited to start studying Dental Hygiene because it’s something that I’ve been interested in for awhile now. In my first semester at City Tech I hope to become more comfortable and adjusted to life as a college student.

• Maya Shaqiri

Hi Makayla!

Welcome to City Tech! I’m thrilled to hear you’re pursuing Dental Hygiene – it’s a fantastic field that requires dedication and compassion. You must be excited to dive into your studies!

Also, don’t hesitate to reach out to your professors or classmates (like me!) if you need help or guidance. We’ve all been in your shoes before!

Remember, becoming a successful college student takes time, effort, and patience. Be kind to yourself, stay organized, and keep pushing forward. You got this, Makayla!

9. miguel rodriguez

hi everyone, my name is miguel rodriguez and i came to city tech to pursue and learn accounting. i was born and raised in astoria queens and i remember hearing a lot about city tech because many people from my high school went to city tech after graduating. i grew up with relatives who are accountants and them talking to me about it just made me want to focus on it by the time i went to college. and now that the time has come my goals here in city tech is to meet and communicate with new people. i feel like the workshop will be helpful in this case due to the fact that today we did the 2 truths 1 lie activity and i feel like it helped to communicate. another goal is to gain knowledge about accounting such as financial analysis, taxations and business law because of the fact that i already have some knowledge about it due to my relatives and its something that i really want to learn.

• Nazia Mahmud

Hi Miguel,

That’s really great that you know about what you wanna study and that you chose city tech. City tech also has clubs and a lot of networking events that can be of your interest. Nice post!

10. Katherine Plasencia Marte

Hi everyone. I’m Katherine Plasencia. I am excited to get started at City Tech with an interest in the dental hygienist program. Having the knowledge and abilities required to succeed in the dental field is one of my top priorities as a college student. I chose City Tech because of its excellent reputation and huge program that offers practical experience. During my first semest6er, I want to build a community of support by connecting with classmates and professors and learning the basics of dental hygiene. I’m excited to have an impact on the community.

• Nazia Mahmud

Hi Katherine,

Dental hygiene is a great major. There are a lot of clubs you can join, for this major as well ones you get accepted to the program. Nice post!

11. karen c

Hi, My name is Karen I am 18 years old I was born in Queens and I’m Ecuadorian. My goal is to be a Rad tech and maybe go into sonography in the future because both of those career path’s have interested me since the beginning of high school. I’ve only know one person who has went to City Tech to be a dental hygienist and she is a family friend who has said many great things of the school like the amount of help and support the school gives to students. Also I have heard many people say online that City Tech has one of the best Rad Tech programs so after researching more about the school I decided this school would suit me the best.

• Nazia Mahmud

Hi Karen,

The rad tech major is indeed a great program at City Tech and one of the competitive major out of three great programs offered at city tech. Nice post!

12. Lena Tanis

Hi! My name is Lena Tanis, I am 18 years old and I’m from Queens. I chose to go to City Tech so I could study Radiologic Tech and Medical Imaging. City Tech sparked my interest when I was deciding upon a college to commit to a couple of months ago and a major deciding factor was this major. I am excited to start my first semester here at City Tech and to start learning in my classes. My goals as a college student are to excel in my academics and practice having a balance between my academics and my personal life so that I can thoroughly enjoy my college experience.

• Nazia Mahmud

Hi Lena,

Those are great goals to have. City Tech is great for Rad Tech major and it’s affordable. Nice post!

13. Joey.Zambrano

Hi, my name is Joey, I am 18 years, and i am from the Bronx. I chose City Tech because i knew that my grades weren’t that great, so i wanted to boost my grades up and transferred to a different college. I chose electrical engineering because for my future job, i like solving problem and fixing them hands on. I felt like electrical engineering was the closest to that idea of the job i wanted, but i am open to other different majors. i hope that in the first semester of City Tech i will have a full grasp on where everything is and my schedule. I hope that everything goes smoothly with everyone!

• Maya Shaqiri

Hey Joey!

Welcome to City Tech! I’m glad you’re looking to boost your grades and explore your interests. Electrical engineering is a great choice, and I’m sure you’ll enjoy the hands-on problem-solving aspects of it.

Don’t worry if you’re still figuring things out. Take your first semester to get familiar with the campus, meet new people, and get a feel for the classes.

Remember, it’s okay to ask for help or directions – we’ve all been there! You’ll get the hang of the schedule and campus layout in no time. If you ever need any advice or just wanna chat, I’m here for you, Joey!

14. Sienna V

Hi! My name is Sienna, I was born in Brooklyn but raised in the Bronx. I chose City Tech because of the great programs they have to offer and because of how affordable it is. I plan to major in Biology on a pre-med track. I’ve always been fascinated with the human anatomy and how it works. Once I graduate I hope to give back to my community by volunteering my services to clinics or any health events. During my first semester at City Tech I hope to learn more about the resources we receive and how to navigate through the different campuses.

• Nazia Mahmud

Hi Sienna,

City tech Biology major is great to get on the pre-med track. Anatomy and physiology class in City Tech is intense and you will get to learn a lot about the human anatomy. City Tech has a lot of resources, most of them you will learn in ct101 workshop and during your journey in City Tech. Nice post!

15. Amanda Benitez

Hi everyone, my name is Amanda, I am 18 years old and I chose City Tech as it was close to where I live and had a program I was interested in. That program is Architectural Technology. Something I want to learn from the first semester are the basics for my major. I also hope to improve my time management skills and learn how to speak up more.

• Maya Shaqiri

Hi Amanda!

Welcome to City Tech! I’m thrilled to hear you’re interested in Architectural Technology – it’s a fantastic program! As an architecture major myself, I can tell you that you’ve made an excellent choice.

Learning the basics of your major in the first semester is a great goal. You’ll get to dive into subjects like drafting, design, and building systems, which will give you a solid foundation for your future studies. Don’t hesitate to ask questions or seek help from your professors or classmates (like me!) whenever you need it.

Improving your time management skills is also crucial, especially in a demanding program like ours. I recommend using a planner or app to stay organized.

And don’t worry about speaking up – it’s totally normal to feel hesitant at first. But trust me, the more you participate in class, the more comfortable you’ll become.

If you need any guidance, study tips, or just want to chat about architecture, I’m here for you, Amanda!

16. terrellthom18

Hey, my name is Terrell I’m 18 years old majoring in electrical engineering with the hopes and goals of one day owning or having a competitor business to companies like Con Edison. My goals as A college student as of right now is to become comfortable, some may say being comfortable makes a person naive to the environment and can make them lazy or unproductive but Im the complete opposite. Being comfortable to me means that I have a steady schedule being able to keep up with all my assignments maintaining good grades. I feel like something like this is the key for college (having a calming and relaxed mindset rather than being stressed and overwhelmed with no pattern or steadiness in your day). I chose City Tech because in my past high school career I attended a trade school which gave me the ability to learn and experience many fields in construction such as Carpentry, HVAC, Electrical and Plumbing which grew a love and interest for Electrical work on me. In my first semester at City Tech I want to learn the ins and outs of the campus want to explore the campus and Just want to adjust to the surroundings.

• Maya Shaqiri

Hey Terrell!!

I totally get it, starting fresh at a new school can be both exciting and overwhelming! I love that you’re taking a proactive approach to getting comfortable on campus and adjusting to the surroundings. That’s a great way to set yourself up for success!

I remember when I first started at City Tech, I felt a bit lost too. But once I started exploring and getting familiar with the campus, I began to feel more at home. Don’t hesitate to reach out to your professors or classmates if you need help or guidance – we’ve all been there!

Also, have you considered joining any student clubs or organizations related to electrical engineering? It’s a great way to meet like-minded people, learn more about the field, and build connections that can help you in the long run.

You got this, Terrell!

17. Ariel Fabrizio Riquelme

Hello, my name’s Ariel Riquelme. I want to say first that I’m a little sad to leave my old high school in Flushing, but I hope to make new friends and memories in this institution, and I hope to excel in the field of my study (Mechatronics Engineering), and I hope that by December, everyone knows something about someone else in the class

• Maya Shaqiri

Hey Ariel!

Welcome to City Tech! I totally understand the bittersweet feeling of leaving your old high school behind, but I’m excited to see you’re looking forward to making new connections and memories here!

Mechatronics Engineering is an awesome field – you’ll have plenty of opportunities to explore your passions and interests. Don’t hesitate to reach out to your professors or peers if you need help or guidance. We’re all here to support each other!

I love your goal of getting to know your classmates by December! That’s a great way to build a strong sense of community and camaraderie. Don’t be afraid to start conversations, ask questions, or share your own experiences – you never know what amazing connections you might make!

18. Marjahan Akther

Hi, my name is Marjahan and I’m 17 years old. I plan on majoring in radiologic technology and medical imaging. I chose city tech because it’s affordable and it has the exact major I want. Not many colleges have my major so I’m glad I chose city tech. I’m very nervous but also excited to experience college life. I know it won’t be easy but I love new experiences and meeting new people.

• Maya Shaqiri

Hey Marjahan!

Welcome to City Tech! I’m stoked to hear you’re excited about your major in Radiologic Technology and Medical Imaging – that’s a fascinating field! You’re right, not many colleges offer that specific major, so kudos to you for finding the perfect fit!

I totally get it, starting college can be nerve-wracking, but it’s normal! You’ll quickly find your rhythm and make amazing connections with your peers and professors. Embrace the new experiences and challenges – they’ll help you grow both academically and personally!

As a peer mentor, I’m here to support you, Marjahan!

19. Raiya

I am Raiya . My major is Computer engineering . The only reason i chose the workshop to learn about the college system cusz this is the first i am studying in college in usa . so everything is kinda new for me to do . CT101 is helping me alot with it . i got to know how the class is going to be and how the cunyfirst and other stuff works . so its kinda effective for me .

• Maya Shaqiri

Hi Raiya!

Welcome to City Tech and the world of Computer Engineering! I’m thrilled to hear that CT101 is helping you navigate the college system, especially since this is your first time studying in the US. That can be overwhelming, but you’re taking the right steps!

CUNYfirst can be a bit tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it, it’s a breeze. And don’t worry if you have questions – we’ve all been there! Your professors, peers, and even I are here to help.

Computer Engineering is an amazing field, and I’m sure you’ll excel in it. Raiya! You got this!

20. Edwinson fremond

Hi, My Name is Edwinson but I go by Eddie Im 19 years old. I live in Brooklyn And I chose City Tech as my College Because in highschool I wasn’t able to maintain a steady Gpa and I always had an interest in dental hygiene so Coming to city Tech my goal is to get a higher gpa and transfer to another college and continue to study in that Field. I do feel like I will get a better understanding in city Tech’s dental hygiene program so that’s also another reason I chose to come here. I know that this field is on the harder sides of studies, but with a clear mind set and time management I know I can do it, and I wish everyone the best in their fields of study.

• Maya Shaqiri

Hey Eddie!

Welcome to City Tech! I’m glad you’re here, and I’m excited to hear about your goals. It takes a lot of courage to acknowledge areas where you want to improve, and it sounds like you’re taking steps in the right direction.

First, let’s talk about your goal of improving your GPA. That’s a great objective, and City Tech is a fantastic place to achieve it. With smaller class sizes and a supportive community, you’ll have the resources you need to succeed.

Now, about Dental Hygiene – that’s a fantastic field! It’s challenging, but also incredibly rewarding. City Tech’s program is well-regarded, and I’m sure you’ll gain valuable knowledge and skills. Time management and a clear mindset are key to success in any field.

21. Almayda Hernandez Martínez

Hi my name is Almayda but most people call me April. I’m 18 years old and live in the Bronx. I choose City tech because I wanted to study fashion and become a CTE teacher at the high school I went too. And that is one of the first steps have to do to become a CTE teacher for fashion. I hope that I learn in my first semester is how to communicate more with professors more better and how to execute that.

• Maya Shaqiri

Hi Almayda! Welcome to City Tech! Great to hear about your passion for fashion and goal to become a CTE teacher. Focus on building those communication skills with professors – you got this! Reach out if you need anything.