Student Learning & Assignments

Prev.: Course Syllabi

The library contains both virtual and physical spaces that are intended for learning, and I believe that I have a role in facilitating them. This includes the library’s website, the physical and streaming media collection, and the reference desk. Along with these areas, which have been developed to support student learning, generate curiosity, and stimulate critical thinking, I also interact with students directly through one-shot library workshops.

I have created the library website through the perspective human-centered design. From the earliest prototype to the final production of the site, it has incorporated the views of its users through usability testing. This has been done so library faculty can teach students how to use the site, but that they can do so on their own.

The library’s media collection of films, music, and other non-print materials have been selected specifically for the purpose of learning. I have made it point to curate a selection of documentaries that highlight life in New York City and beyond, so students can learn of not only their immediate environment, but of other cultures as well.

I feel that the reference desk is the ultimate venue for student learning, as it is here I can directly interact with students, face-to-face. I can facilitate learning of not only their immediate research needs, but also the tools available that they can use for student success. The reference desk is not just limited to research, but also a place for logistical questions about college life and City Tech culture. 

As previously mentioned, I teach students in one-shot information literacy sessions for the 1100 CST course. I have developed an in-class, online worksheet that guides them on how to effectively find research materials through the library. This worksheet serves a few applications. It gives students to learn how to find particular types of resource materials (books, media, journal articles, etc.), a record of the type of materials found in class, and the basic building blocks to creating a citation. This is especially important, as it open opportunities to discuss writing a bibliography and avoiding plagiarism.

Lastly, in facilitating the teaching portfolio workshops for non-instructional librarians, I have given them assignments to think conceptually about the portfolio. This includes having participants write one to two sentences about each component of the teaching portfolio, which is then followed by an in-person discussion, and a overall reflection of the workshop experience. I have found that this allows participants to augment their portfolio organically as well as facilitate ad hoc peer teaching and learning among cohorts.

Next: Teaching Effectiveness