Week 2: Applying to an Internship

Applying for an internship can be very overwhelming. My process for applying was very rocky because I was working on polishing my portfolio. I was on a time crunch to apply for an internship. The moment I finished polishing my portfolio and revising my resume was when I began my search for an internship. I used Linkedin as my main source for applying. I also searched through GoogleIndeed, and the COMD Communications Design Internship Coordination Site as a backup for more help. Since this is my first time applying for an internship, I made it a goal to apply to at least ten internships daily. I am feeling many different emotions because the chances of not getting a response back are very likely since I do not have any background in the field yet.

All internships are different in their way. Some require a cover letter and others did not. Some may ask to see your work and resume or just your portfolio link. Others would tell you to email them directly with your work attached rather than applying on the site. For some that I applied to, this method worked best because I got a quick response back. Overall, the source that helped me find an internship was Linkedin. I believe it is a great platform to use nowadays because all your information is already on your profile unless you need to add something that’s not there or a company reaches out to you privately. Not to mention, my Linkedin networking also has increased a lot in the last year.

To summarize, you’ll never know unless you try. It takes a lot of determination and consistency when finding an internship. Especially the one that’s the right fit for you. However, I am very enthusiastic to begin my first internship and to make those new connections. I hope to gain more knowledge or tricks I didn’t know before. Moreover, have experience in the field.