Reflection

For my genre, I chose true crime, true crime is non-fiction literacy, podcasts, films, etc. which involves the author inspecting thoroughly a real crime and it’s detailing. A couple of trends that would reoccur in these true crime stories is spreading a moral message to the audience who consumes it. For example, if a crime were to happen in a specific neighborhood like in Forest Hills, Queens, the audience living there would be the ones who would mainly consume the details the case introduces and would take further steps to ensure that their neighborhood is safe and become more aware of their surroundings. Another trend that makes a good true crime story and gets the point across is typically putting the effort in the research, meeting with, spending time around, and interviewing people who were involved in the true crime case. In one of my sources “Charles Manson’s Own Story of Why the Manson Family Killed,” the author, Olivia B. Waxman, wrote an interview that Charles Manson previously had and interpreted to get the deeper meaning behind it.  True crime stories also have a very neutral and unbias tone because the authors are here to inform the audience and to not influence them to think one way or another, that is for us to decide whether we agree or disagree with the case presented. Another key factor that goes into true crime stories is being respectful to the victim’s families and the case itself, authors need to make sure that everything they use to write about the true crime is facts. These true crime stories deal with real people, real events and real consequences, and the story you tell is being spread to multiple audiences interested in this topic so it’s best to not play around with the truth. As I researched my genre, I learned that there’s more to a true crime story than just gathering all the evidence and presenting it. There needs to be a tone, a moral message conveyed to the audience, extensive research such as traveling to somewhere for an interview with the victim’s families or with the actual criminal, making sure the truth gets out and not twisting it. However, one thing I want to know more about my topic is keeping a neutral tone throughout the storytelling, it is very easy to insert an opinion, making it one-sided than rather seeing the whole picture behind motives. Throughout this assignment, I learned that as a writer I always like to input background information before actually telling the story, it gives me a place to start and feels more organized. My strength in this assignment is that I can gather evidence and analyze it, breaking it further down to make it easier to understand. But I struggled with identifying the author’s main argument because true crime stories to me have the same structure, a victim; a crime; and the outcome. So I was not entirely sure where the main argument in my sources showed up. I think what could help me improve in this area is by looking at my peer’s annotated bibliographies or other ones online and seeing how they extracted the author’s main argument from their source.

8 thoughts on “Reflection”

1. I really had no idea what true crime is, it is a very interesting genre you decided to write about. I didn’t know many people took crime as a way of story telling, and I guess that is very important because in reality, people in situations have to deal with what happened and it can be hard to talk about it, to get the truth out. It seems like a whole process to make sure the truth comes out and everything presented in the case is facts, but the good thing is that it has an influence on the audience and that can convey a message.

2. I didn’t know much about true crime even though I have seen movies related to this genre but its always been difficult for me to understand the main theme. After reading Arlyn’s reflection, I now understand the true meaning of crime telling stories and how they can be portrayed by the victims and the witnesses.

3. I find this reflection very educative on True crime stories because it really explains the importance of a true crime story and how it has a huge effect on the neighborhoods of the crime scene and not just the suspects involved. i also agree with the statement that says “keeping a neutral tone is difficult in a true crime story.” This statement is significant because in crime stories you are more likely to pick a side and be biased but in a true crime story you can not have your own opinion.

4. I learned that true crime stories are unbiased, which is very important because people need to look at a case or at the person in their own way with no persuasion if the person is guilty or not. This is what makes it interesting.

5. I learned that true crime stories are unbiased, which is very important because people need to look at a case or at the person in their own way with no persuasion if the person is guilty or not. This is what makes it interesting.

6. I learned that true crime stories are unbiased, which is very important because people need to look at a case or at the person in their own way with no persuasion if the person is guilty or not. This is what makes it interesting.

7. I learned that true crime stories are unbiased, which is very important because people need to look at a case or at the person in their own way with no persuasion if the person is guilty or not. This is what makes it interesting.