A Project Space for ID2 Interns

Week 3 – Destiny Thomas

After reading the first chapter of the new textbook I found it easier to read than the past textbook we were given to read. It was short as a first chapter and the information was simple and we were even given some definitions to read about as well. The definitions I read about that were helpful was learning about the graphic design community and it’s commonly used terms. Those terms are infographics and information design. The way they described the words used in graphic design were worded perfectly. During my time at City Tech, Fall 2022 I took Information Design with Professor Hitchings and we were able to create an information design poster. We learned about different charts, scales, maps and different ways to display a certain measure of information. It was a new way of thinking and made me go above and beyond researching the topic I picked. Overall infographics stand for visual display which graphics with verbal language communicate information that isn’t possible in another way. Then information design is used to inform, display and persuade a certain community with the information or topic provided. You can talk about information that is good and why it’s good or why something is bad and the harmful effects. For me I created a poster about the Spotted Lanternfly and it’s harmful effects to the environment. I used a timeline to display it’s life cycle and at which points they’re adults and which time of year they are hatching. This textbook was easier to read and understand due to the simplicity of the text and words used. There were a lot of pictures that went with the information that made more sense to me and most of them gave a great description of what we are viewing. The other textbook the photos didn’t correlate to the text as easily and readable to me.

1. Wilna Michel

I agree, the class on Information Design was very informative and interesting. Your topic was very important. I remember how many edits we had to do to make sure that the data and information that we had researched were seen in the infographic. At the beginning, I thought Information design had to do with textbooks and articles but after the class, I realize it on presenting important information in a way that they understand, whether it be through infographics, charts, or imagery.