Chapter 2 – Chapter 2 was very informative in understanding the different types of informational data. Understanding that even the lack of information can be considered information. The breakdown of analog and digital information made for a good distinction in why most data and information has transitioned to digital, because of the strong advantages of binary data. While analog still has its advantages, digital makes it so computers can even recognize if some data is missing and recover it. Understanding the different types of data/information was also helpful, because it allows us to understand the types of data we interact with. It was interesting to find out there is no standardized or fixed definitions of types of data.

As for my personal reflection, I found the information interesting to consider and will probably become more useful as the chapters go on, as this is the basis of understanding data, information and so on. It was a little dry but overall not so bad to follow along and understand.

Chapter 3 – I find chapter 3 much harder to discuss interesting tidbits as it was a very technical explanation of the mathematical theory of communication. While informative and helpful in understanding the efficient way of encoding and transferring data, it feels a little difficult to understand without some lecture going over the explanation and explaining it in better terms than stuff like a raven, or the confusing coin flips where one is biased and the other isn’t. I found the explanations of noise and redundancy more useful as they helped me grasp the concept better and how this is not information or data in the ways we think of it such as photos or instructions, but as bits and the true math behind how a computer might handle it.

As for my personal reflection, I found it an even tougher read than last chapter due to its more technical terms, and even the way it is broken down leads me to have to re-read multiple times to fully understand. I also think some of the terms are a bit advanced. Honestly, I’ve read complex algorithm books that are less confusing in terms of explaining things. Although it could be useful to get students accustomed to this verbiage as it is more common in the later years of education, without an explanation of how to really view and understand this kind of data(ironic), it will be too complex. I think with a good lecture behind them though, these concepts will get easier to understand.