The 1st chapter of Information: A Very Short Introduction was very interesting. It really put into perspective just how much data and information has happened since the introduction of the computer. It really does feel like a revolution, as I think of how much we use these forms of data to interact with the world. The vast amount of data we have begun storing, even down to music, video, photographs, and general information is overwhelming. The discussion on how important ICT’s are to nations even just to something like their GDP’s is truly such a shift from how it used to be even just 50 years ago. With the introduction of VR and AR I also found the idea of a book from 2010 discussing the “infosphere” very surreal. It feels like we are basically already there, as I think of how staying at my grandmothers house is difficult as she has no wi-fi, which means no internet access for my laptop to get work done, but more than that, nothing but basic cable so no movies no shows, no streaming music to the speakers. We already feel like we need the “infosphere” for everything now, but it will only progress further.

The reading itself was pretty dense and wordy, as some of the words are also made up words from theory e.g. Inforgs, Re-ontologization, ITentities and so on. Although the information was good, and most of the predictions are coming to fruition as everyone’s main goal is interactivity now as Fliordi has theorized. I can’t help but feel how outdated the book might be, as so much has happened from 2010 to now that wasn’t discussed, such as how we use RFID to make purchases for everything, such as AR and VR, and the advancements in cloud technology.

As for information design, I find it very interesting to look at how important information and data has become, as well as just how prevalent it has become. Just thinking about back 13 years ago how it was already the G7’s main source of production. Also discovering how we interact and became extremely dependent on the information and it’s integration into our society has put into perspective the changes that occurred in my lifetime.