A Resource for Students to Plan their Path to Graduation

Month: October 2021

How to Apply for a Degree

In this video you will learn how to apply for a degree and also how to verify your eligibility to apply for graduation.

Note, graduation is not automatic, you must apply, notifying the college that it is time to verify completion of a degree.

Links to information presented in this video:

If you are ready to apply for graduation CONGRATULATIONS, you did it, you are about to be an alum of City Tech! If you have question, contact your academic advisor.

Walt Disney World College Program

The opportunity to “live, learn, and earn” with the Walt Disney Company is available to college students through the Walt Disney World College Program. City Tech’s Hospitality Management students have the added advantage of also earning 12 HMGT credits for successful completion of this prestigious internship program.

Recruitment is typically conducted in September, October, February, and March but check the WDWCP website for the exact dates. Roles (jobs) span the hospitality industry and include lodging, F&B, recreation, and more. Review the list roles to find the one best suited for your career progression.

Student who wish to pursue the Walt Disney World Culinary Program will have the unique opportunity to work in the full service kitchens around the Walt Disney World property. Students considering this program must have professional kitchen experience to be considered.

Qualified students, should consider the  Disney Professional Internship Program. These are major-specific internships across The Walt Disney Company that can be posted at different times throughout the year. Most of these roles do not have specific recruitment dates, therefore, students should be ready to apply at any time.  Please note – Students must minimally be a Junior in college and have related experience in their major to qualify.

Prof. Karen Goodlad is the College’s WDWCP liaison and can assist you in choosing the program that is right for you and to prepare for the extensive interview process.

Writing Intensive Requirement Explained

Students must complete two courses designated writing intensive (WI) for the associate level, one from general education (GenEd) requirements and one from the major requirements; and two additional courses designated WI for the baccalaureate level, one from GenEd and one from the major. Hospitality Management students will take an additional WI course to complete their AAS and BTech degrees.

When I chose my general education writing intensive course I looked at which classes I was eligible to take based on my prerequisites and then chose some options that I was interested in.

Elaine Suarez, HMGT STudent, Sophomore

Students can search for WI courses in the General Education section of the City Tech Academic Advising webpage. When enrolling in a WI course, double check to make sure the course and section are designated “WI”. The course options and sections will change each semester.

The “My Degree Planner” is a helpful tool to help you plot the courses you wish to take to fulfil your degree requirements

You can always contact your HMGT Academic Advisor for assistance, here is the list of advisors.