Living Learning Earning

Working Somewhere Different: A Change of Pace

This week I had the wonderful opportunity to work at Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween Party. Since august, when the party shifts dropped, I have been trying to get a shift with no luck. Finally, a coworker of mine wanted to work a shift earlier in the day so we switched!! 

I was very excited, as I have been trying for months to grab a shift for this special ticketed event at magic kingdom. It was wristbands shift so I put wristbands on the guests who entered the park with the Halloween party tickets and greeted them into the party. This was a big change from my usual food service shifts, and it was a lot more interactive with guests. There was also a lot more excitement from guests than there is in a food service environment. 

From this experience I learned how to work with others who have also never worked a shift like this, and that work doesn’t always need to be stressful. The other people I worked with during this shift, most of them had also never worked at Magic Kingdom before or have done wristbands. It was a great opportunity for all of us to work together to create magic for the guests. This was also my first time working in a park that was not Animal Kingdom and not food service. It was a really great change of pace. The guests were way more excited and kinder and appreciative of us cast members. This experience overall taught me that it is okay to change things up and try new things. Lastly, this change gave me the chance to learn new things and skills while having an absolute blast. 

1. Xochitl Fernandez

Congrats on working in a different environment and enjoying the different change in pace. The costume looks amazing as well!