Prof. Goodlad HMGT 1101 | Prof. Stewart HMGT 1102 | Prof. Rosen ENG 1101

immensely

Adverb – To a great extent; extremely.

Adjective – Very Great in size.

link to and cite the source of your definition – Immensely | Definition of Immensely by Merriam-Webster

I’ve encountered this word from “Learning to Read” by Malcolm X. (p.1)

quote from the passage – “I believe it took me a day. Then, aloud, I read back, to myself, every­thing I’d written on the tablet. Over and over, aloud, to myself, I read my own handwriting.

I woke up the next morning, thinking about those words – immensely proud to realize that not only had I written so much at one time, but I’d writ­ten words that I never knew were in the world. Moreover, with a little effort, I also could remember what many of these words meant“.

The author tries to convey his effort in this paragraph by writing words he wished to learn, and through hard work, he succeeded and was immensely (extremely) proud of his achievement.

1. Jody R. Rosen

Thanks for adding to our glossary, Ia!

When I was in second grade, my class must have read something with the word immense in it. My teacher asked if anyone could use it in a sentence. My classmate Amro proudly offered “Mrs. Hammel is immense!” He thought it meant great, which it can, but more like great in size. Needless to say, mys slight in stature teacher was surprised. He might have instead said “Mrs. Hammel’s accomplishments are immense” or “I like Mrs. Hammel immensely.”

In Ia’s example, you can see how immensely proud means extremely proud or proud to a large degree or something along those lines.