Prof. Goodlad HMGT 1101 | Prof. Stewart HMGT 1102 | Prof. Rosen ENG 1101

Reflection, 9/21, HMGT 1101

Today we started to identify trends in the hospitality industry. Share one trend that you found and explain how this information will help you be a better hospitality student and future industry leader.

1. Lre Collymore

Individual tasting menus in Culinary Arts can help me understand what preferences other people have. This can also help me understand what allergies they have as well, if they are vegan, vegetarian, gluten free etc.

• Prof. Karen Goodlad

I enjoy tasting menus and when given the choice, I likely will choose a tasting menu over ala carte.

2. Ia Macharashvili

The new trend for 2021 regarding making events are Hybrid Events. It is necessary to know technology and the difficulties you may encounter such as , internet connection, trolls , online engagement.

• Prof. Karen Goodlad

Yes, a necessity. But learning in this environment will help you know what works and does not work with guest engagement.

3. Jason Wu

One trend that I found is the trend on restaurants and this information will help me be a better hospitality student and future industry leader by I want to work in the restaurant business when I graduate from college and it helps other people who work in restaurants business.

• Prof. Karen Goodlad

Your trend is unclear to me. What is it about restaurants that you learned about?

• Jason Wu

I learned about food safety and allergies and this will help to run a restaurant on preparing food for customer’s safety.

4. Jason Wu

5. Jason Wu

6. Jeffrey Vegas

one trend that I found today when I was searching with culinary arts was the fact that I found a new type of cuisine being cannabis cuisine. I never thought that cannabis will ever be in the culinary industry, but it appears to already making its presence. This will make me a better student because I know more of different, and hip new cuisines that are in style. As a industry leader, I would see this as a possible competitor.

• Prof. Karen Goodlad

Yes, many states are selling edible products in restaurants. We have a lot to learn about this new yet ancient ingredient.

7. Guadalupe Saraie Campos

A 2021 trend I found is regenerative travel. This information is important because during pandemic times it is important to be cautious of our effects on local communities and the environment.

• Prof. Karen Goodlad

I have not had a student explore this trend yet. If this becomes your final choice I will be excited to learn something new.

8. Ben

One trend I started learning about was having instagrammable foods at events. This means that the food is so visually appealing that it can go on Instagram. This helps me for future reference because it helps me understand how I can advertise our business in more interactive/modern ways.

• Prof. Karen Goodlad

Is this “insta-worthy” is a big term in restaurants, now, I guess, events too!

9. Maria Isabel Gonzalez

A trend I found in event management was on site rapid testing. In the hotel I work at, everyone had to present a 72 hour covid test or the hotel provided them with a pcr self testing kit. Everyone in the event including the people that made the food had to get tested. This information is important because, we already know Covid is not going anywhere anytime soon, so getting tested before and after the party is extremely important even if you are vaxxed

10. Tarynn Smith

A trend I came across is a Chatbot. Sometimes it can be hard for hotels to provide quick responses to those with questions. A Chatbot would be able to provide answers to guests in real-time.

• Prof. Karen Goodlad

Chat Bots are helpful but there needs to be an equally robust live response and continual review of the questions people are asking to ensure the bot is able to address the needs of the guest. Interesting.

11. Erick Panama

One trend in culinary that I found is a Restaurant-brand meal kits where its a package with all the ingredients that’s can be cooked at home by yourself with a guide of the recipe. This can make me a better hospitality student and future industry leader because this could be a new way of business or helpful for anybody craving their favorite meal from a restaurant that can be done by themselves at home.

• Prof. Karen Goodlad

I have ordered these when a chef is doing a demo, it worked out pretty well. Some also have opportunities to pair wine and cocktails.

12. Tyrah

One trend I found is restaurants wanting to serve foods that can be posted on social media. A saying that are hurd in a cooking show once was “the phone always eats first”. This trend reminded me of that.