Prof. Goodlad HMGT 1101 | Prof. Stewart HMGT 1102 | Prof. Rosen ENG 1101

Discussion: Introductions

Hello My Name Is” by Travis Wise via Flickr CC BY 2.0

This semester, we will collaborate on work for the three courses in this First Year Learning Community (FYLC). To get to know each other better, please add a comment to this post introducing yourself to the class. You could include your academic interests, why you chose to major in HMGT and what your focus will be, what you enjoy reading, listening to, watching, and doing in your spare time, what you like to cook or eat, what the furthest away you’ve ever traveled, or anything else you want to share (include your pronouns, if you wish). Your introduction can include images, video, or links as well as approximately 150 words.

This week, 1- add your introduction in a comment early enough (Monday morning makes sense) for everyone to have time to 2- read all the comments. In ENG 1101 on Tuesday, we will 3- comment on a each other’s introductions to show shared interests, to encourage, to ask to learn more, to share kindness.

Remember that you do not need to use your real name in this comment–your display name will do, and it will be autogenerated as the author of the comment, so no need to add it.

Also, remember that even if you don’t have an OpenLab account, you can still complete this assignment because you can still add a comment! If you haven’t been able to sign up for an account, you can still do this work by adding your comment just by filling in the Name and Email fields–the name you use will show, so feel free to just use your initials; your email address will only display for the course instructors.

1. ia Macharashvili

Hello, everyone! I’m a first-year student studying Hospitality Management. The major reason I selected this subject of study is because of the numerous paths it may lead you to, but my primary concentration will be event management. My favorite genres to read are mystery, historical fiction, and romance. I’m presently reading Jane Austin’s “Pride and Prejudice.” Whenever I have free time, I generally spend time with friends or watch a movie/series

• Jody R. Rosen

Welcome, Ia! I wonder if reading Pride and Prejudice will inspire any events in your event-management career. Maybe a ball? Do you see any crossover with your reading interests and your career goals, or is reading an escape that shouldn’t have anything to do with your job?

• ia Macharashvili

The ball is absolutely a good theme idea. Whenever I come across an event in a book , I love visualizing it. It does inspire me to create such events.

• Ben

Events are definitely the way to go! What movies/series are you currently watching?

2. Jeffrey Vegas

Hello im a first year in hospitality management. the reason why I joined this course was because I want to become a chef and work in a nice restaurant. it would also be nice to manage one because you have most of the power of the restaurant. my hobbies are watching shows, and going out with friends. I also enjoy reading manga

• Jody R. Rosen

Welcome, Jeffrey! Managing a restaurant certainly seems rewarding–and stressful, too! I’m sure the same could be said about being a chef.

What shows and manga do you like to watch/read?

• Jeffrey Vegas

I’ve heard that managing a restaurant is stressful and hard, but i’m willing to try. My favorite anime genres are action, and comedy.

• Jody R. Rosen

What jobs have you had in the food industry so far? I’m sure they’re all stressful! It’s all about finding the balance between stressful and rewarding, right?

Any anime titles to recommend to the rest of us?

• Jeffrey Vegas

I haven’t worked yet but I am going to try to look for jobs in the summer.
            one anime title I recommend is demon slayer. It has slight mature themes but it has a good story.

3. Shakhzoda Obidova

Hello,I’m first year student in Hospitality Management .The reason why I chose this major is mainly because I want to be flight attendant and I always wanted to something different than people around me and that is to travel the world, meet new people ,learn about cultures and food habits . There are many significant advantages choosing a career in hospitality, it offers many great opportunities such as exciting work environment ,worldwide opportunities and many more you can think of. I don’t enjoy reading but sometimes when I’m bored I like reading webtoons. I really enjoy listening to music as well as watching movies.My favorite type of movie genres is comedy, romance, action and fantasy.I like to bake and cook when I’m free.I also love listening to ghost stories, when I was a kid my grandmother always use to tell us scary stories before going to bed.

• Jody R. Rosen

Welcome, Shazi! Have you traveled a lot already? Where do you hope to go when you become a flight attendant?

Ghost stories might be your way into reading more, if you’re interested. Or I’m sure there are great podcasts and even old radio shows you could find that would be an easy way to listen to them–not as great as your grandmother’s, I’m sure, but still good!

• Shakhzoda Obidova

I haven’t traveled a lot but hopefully will be able to once everything settles down .I can’t wait to travel around the world when I become a flight attendant and I’m so excited.I really want to visit Switzerland and South Korea.

• Jeffrey Vegas

That’s pretty cool that you had a grandmother that told you ghost stories!

4. Erick Panama

Hello everybody. It’s my first year in Hospitality management. My major reason I chose this major was for the culinary aspect of it but I see there’s more to it and well I want to see if I get interested in something else if not, not a problem. In my free time I like to spend time with the bois playing video games, and well on my own time I like watching marvel movies/series and recording/editing my videos for YouTube.

• Jody R. Rosen

Welcome, Erick! I like how you’re keeping an open mind about where HMGT can take you!

Which video games do you like to play? What kinds of videos do you make for YouTube–are they video-game videos? Maybe you’ll share your channel with us when we know each other better!

• Erick Panama

I play different type of games. I do gaming videos and now I do reaction videos that I enjoy doing, I also want to get into making IRL videos ! I don’t mind sharing my YouTube 🙂

• Tarynn Smith

I also love Marvel movies. Which ones are you looking forward to seeing?

• Erick Panama

I’m REALLY looking forward to Spider-Man No Way Home and Doctor strange: Multiverse of Madness !!

• Ben

You had me at Marvel. Shang-Chi was AMAZING and I heard that there are so many more movies in the works.

• Erick Panama

BROOOO, I still haven’t seen Shang-Chi. But I’ll DEFINITELY go watch when I get the time with the bois!

• Ben

ITS SOOO GOOD. I can’t wait for the new spiderman, the eternals, the new hawkeye movie

5. Tarynn Smith

Hello, I’m a first year student in hospitality management. My pronouns are she/her. I hope to work in a hotel in the future. I chose this major so that I can learn about the different aspects and see which one I’m interested in. I love to travel so my family thinks I should become a flight attendant but I think working as a front desk clerk would also be nice. I’m also thinking about moving to France and working at a hotel over there. I don’t enjoy reading that much but when I do read it’s typically young adult books. I love to listen to music, specifically hip-hop and R&B. In my free time I like to watch movies.

• Jody R. Rosen

Welcome, Tarynn! I like how you’re thinking through the pros and cons to different career paths in hospitality. What appeals to you about moving to France–is it the food, the language, the culture…so many things to love about France!

What are some movies you would recommend that you saw recently? Or any good YA books?

• Tarynn Smith

One thing that interests me about France is the language. I studied it all four years of high school and I want to learn more so I can become fluent.

I watched over 100 movies during quarantine and some of my favorites were “Fight Club,” “The Truman Show,” and “Shutter Island.”

• Jody R. Rosen

WOW, 100+ movies! Any that take place in France? Any in French? There’s a movie from about 20 years ago called “Chocolat” that’s not in French but takes place in France and is all about a woman who opens a chocolate shop. Maybe add that to your list!

We offer French courses at City Tech–you might check to see which level you’d place into if you’re interested.

• Jody R. Rosen

Also, you should talk to Prof. Goodlad about any study-abroad programs available if you’re interested in studying in France. Not sure if we’ll still run any of these programs after the pandemic, but she’s a good person to ask!

6. Jody R. Rosen

Hi everyone! My name is Jody R. Rosen and I use she/her/hers pronouns. I usually use my middle initial (R) because there’s another Jody Rosen who writes about music and pop culture, but I’m not him! Also my middle initial is in my City Tech email address, so I think that keeps things clearer.

I’ve taught in the FYLC program for a long time, but I’m new to working with HMGT. I’m really excited about it! Midway through graduate school, when I was losing my way a bit, I watched a lot (A LOT) of Food Network. I credit that with teaching me knife skills and lots about cooking and food/food industry history. But that’s all as an amateur. I also love seeing new places and taking photographs, using skills I learned when I worked with a photography class in my first few years teaching in the FYLC program. I don’t have to travel far to enjoy seeing new things or seeing things from a different vantage point. Last week I took pictures along the Hudson River from Inwood, which was a different point of view than I’m used to.

I’m a professor in the English Department, and I have a PhD in English from the CUNY Graduate Center. But as an undergraduate, I double-majored in English and Biology. People used to ask me if I wanted to write science textbooks, seeing that as a way to combine my majors. I had no interest in that, but I do like using science in my creative writing, and as a metaphor in my literary and gender-studies scholarship (mostly focused on the early 20th century). My research lately focuses more on teaching and learning and on open digital pedagogy and the OpenLab. I’m always interested in mentoring undergraduate research on any of these topics.

If you have any questions for me, want to learn more about what I do, or just want to talk, feel free to reach out to me, or reply to me here!

• Tarynn Smith

My father cooks but I’ve never took an interest in it. What are some of your favorite meals to prepare?

I took a photography class a couple years ago and it was interesting. I used to take pictures of friends and family when I travel but now I often take pictures of myself.

7. Lre Collymore

What’s good everybody. It’s my first year in HMGT and college altogether. My main reason I chose this major was for culinary arts, but I know that there is more to it, and I would love to explore all of the areas revolving HMGT. The thing that got me thinking about this field was seeing YouTubers making a replica Chick-Fil-A sandwich. I saw the video around the start of 7th grade and I decided “why not?”. I had fun making the food and ever since I have made many dishes, from fried/baked chicken to chocolate tarts, to stir fry, to Stromboli. I have also been watching stars like Wolfgang Puck, Gordon Ramsay and Jamie Oliver to see how I can step up my own game. In my free time I like to go to the gym (I go everyday), and spent time in stores like H&M, and UNIQLO, to see what kinds of fashion I can add to my wardrobe.

8. Ben

Hey everyone! I’m a first year student in Hospitality Management. I honestly don’t know what I want to do in the future but I do know that I like interacting with different people on a daily basis, so hopefully I’m in the right major. Recently I’ve been doing different events for different programs. The cool thing about doing these events is that you’ll never know what you’re signing up for. One day I’m doing an event under the Brooklyn Bridge, the next I’m inside a real castle celebrating a 5-day Indian Wedding. Getting to meet everyone with their unique backstory is the best part. My hobbies include playing video games, sports, and listening to music. My taste is all over the place when it comes to movie/music genres.

9. Tarynn Smith

10. Maria Isabel Gonzalez

Hello everyone!! Im Mari and this is my first year in hospitality management. One of the many reasons as to why I picked this major is because, I want to work as a main manager in a hotel. I already work in a hotel but I work in the restaurant. so I kinda want to change my path. Plus if im honest, I am tired of having my hair tied up in a ponytail everyday. I love reading but I cant read out loud, and I love music. Kpop? I got you. Cumbias?! I’ll show you how to dance it. I like going to events and parties with my co-workers and friends. I watch dramas, anime and videos. Im currently watching the Black Butler and I fished watching Elite. When im not busy, I stay outside with my friends watching movies or going out, and we watch the stars. i love the stars and moon. Im also a florist, its a hobby ive done for years and when I went to Mexico, I learned a lot more. I love cooking, and at work I make pizza, so I think that is my favorite thing to make/cook and eat. But sushi… it has my heart. But yeah thats a wrap…

11. Guadalupe Saraie Campos

Hello everyone, I’m a first year student at city tech studying hospitality management and I use she/her/hers pronouns. I choose hospitality management because of it’s different aspects and involvement to a variety of different careers that one can pursue. I believe that there is many alternative path you can take and explore throughout this journey. As of right now I want to be a hotel general manager but I would also like to be a flight attendant because I love to travel and explore the different cultures, beliefs, and cuisines each country has to offer. Something I like to do on my spare time is to look up quotes and just reflect on them. Every once in a while I would build lego sets because I find it very calming. I also enjoy cooking and baking traditional recipes with my mom.