For Unit 3, I choose to create my genre through the form of a monologue podcast, or ‘solocast’. My podcast will be about how I, a freshmen in college from 2020, dealt with stress during quarantine. My inspiration for my style to discuss my experience comes from the Youtuber, ‘The Modern Martial Artist’, who does breakdowns, analysis and discussions on not just fight techniques, but as well on the personal life of the fighter. The Modern Martial Artist’s audience consists of people who want to not only understand combat sport techniques, but also the lifestyle and mentality of those who are professionals. What makes his type of podcast attractive is the analytical tone. The orator’s voice and use of vocabulary is subtle and critical, which makes the tone of the podcast an ear opener to listeners. It starts with a brutal introduction that appeals to viewers thus keeping their attention for the half hour long video. Ex: “This man legitimately wanted his opponent to die”, “Lord, help me kill this man for he is not righteous”. The video uses well known historical context that most people know then transitions to details almost nobody was aware of to shock them. The monologue podcast inspires me to make a monologue podcast of my own. In it, I will discuss the stress and pressure of being isolated, the side effects, and how I endure and cope with it.

Videos that gave me my idea: