Writing for the Public

Oscar Wao

Honestly, I have no idea what the heck I just read, even though I have read this book before. It’s been a few years though since I heard of Oscar Wao. Crazy thing is, I remember it being funny, I have no clue why does the author need to include the history of the Dominican race…Unless he did it on purpose to show the readers where his lifestyle is based on? Well as far as my knowledge goes, Oscar uses the history of his ethnicity to demonstrate how the people of his kind are in a type of “generational curse” type of mess. As he stated “No matter what its name or provenance, it is believed that the arrival of Europeans on Hispaniola unleashed the Fuku on the world, and we’ve all been in the shit ever since.” As I previously said, I remember it being funny. I guess this is where the humor kicks in and where my mind is jumping all over the place, trying to find out what in the world Oscar is going on about. What I do know is that Oscar is very prideful when it comes to representing his country. To know that much about ones country is very impressive. I wish I knew that much too.

1. Carrie Hall

It’s a good question– why do you think he talks about the DR so much? He does say that there are only 30 seconds of Dominican history in American high school. Maybe, as a Dominican, he kind of resents that. Being from Guyana, you might occasionally wish people knew more about your country (or you may even want to know more about it yourself, I don’t know! I’m from Slovakia, and I know almost nothing, to be honest.) But also, maybe he’s setting up the story that’s about to follow.