Writing for the Public

Óscar

Where I got caught up specifically is when the author is talking about Domos the Puertorocks and fufus, I don’t understand what the author is trying to tell me here. I think the author is speaking Spanglish I wouldn’t have know that if it wasn’t said in the assignment. I found it funny how the author just cursed out of nowhere it seems as it’s angry over something but I can’t quite understand what exactly is the issue. I do seem to understand that the scary story of the fuku seems to be based on DR’s dictator the author perhaps says this stuff of the Fuku in an exaggerated way but it’s trying to portray a similarity between the monster and the real monster in real life. I think that’s what the excerpt was mainly talking about but I don’t really understand how it comes together and what the point of the story is really about. It’s confusing with some of the wording that is being used in the excerpt some don’t even seem to be words that are English. Not even Spanglish I speak Spanglish too and I don’t even understand the wordings that is used in this text.

1. Carrie Hall

Yeah– it’s a very specific Spanglish– like a Dominican Spanglish from a particular neighborhood or something. And that’s a good question– is he ANGRY? Or does he just regularly talk like that? These are all good observations.