In the article, Mike Bunn writes, “You are already an author”, to explain that we as students have written countless pieces of work. Whether it be essays, poems, or short stories. We all have experience writing even though we aren’t professional authors.

One notable writing piece that I have written was a  parody of the Merchant’s Tale in The Canterbury Tales. It was a group assignment for AP Literature, where we had to explain the tale in any way we chose fitting. My group decided to do a parady and use AAVE (African American Vernacular English) terms to help the class understand in an easier way.

Though it wasn’t a formal writing piece, the class enjoyed it and they were able to to have a clear understanding of the man idea of the story.

On page nine of the article, Bunn states. “…”it’s worth thinking about how the published text would be different- maybe even better- if the author had made different choices in the writing…” The Canterbury Tales is an old book, so I didn’t expect it to have Modern English, however, simplifying the word choices allowed my classmates to not only have a good laugh but, they were able to comprehend it without having to spend too much time on the diction that the author used.

This technique will definitely be useful whenever I need to grasp the essence of a writing piece.

In the beginning of the article, Bunn included a personal story that helped him tie in his purpose of writing it. I would like to try this style of writing because, I don’t want readers to feel like like they have to interpret everything I write to understand the gist of the writing. I wouldn’t want my writing to appear  too formal, but I would want it to have an appropriate tone as stated in “How to Read Like a Writer”.