Hall English 1101 Fall 2020

Read Like a Writer

Notes-

• RLW- Identify some of the choices the author made so that you can better understand how such choices might help in your writing.
  • Examine things you read
  •  Locate what you believe are the most important writer choices represented in the text
  • Ask yourself questions while reading of the authors style
  • Reading like and architect
  • Ask questions before you read, go back to those questions and answer it more detailed
  • See the genres of writing and the style the author wrote for that writing
  • Will this techniques work for me?

Based on the article, Mike Bunn writes “You are already an author.” I think he means by this that each one of us writes already making us an author not a recognizable one that gets pay a lot but an author the very least. When we write our thoughts based on something we disagree on, write for a homework we need to hand it or even a text message to a friend. We are authors basically and especially when we are read then write like this article talked about how reading is what can make you become a better author since is a skill that helps improve your writing. Since I have been reading at such a young age and when it has to do for homework I try to take it in the reading and used it to answer the question to that reading one importantly Why am I reading this? What is it trying to tell me?Some things I have wrote is what I mentioned previously and lists, reminders, essays for schoolwork, my ideas, my plans, goals, summarizes, resumes, cover letters ect…

The existing expertise can help me in my college reading and writing because I will learn from there mistakes and triumphs. I can incorporate some of there thinking while I’m reading in my own set of articles or stories of other authors I will be reading from. I can ask some of the questions they be asking themselves while they read because considering they are experts it means it works for them and it should work for me. Another reason it will help me to see a text differently from how I see it now while I read I will look at their style of writing what they did? What I like from it and wish to use on my own writing career? I will see how it stands out to me being the reader at first and then writing remembering what I like and dislike when I was the reader. Also how to read to write this seems to be a helpful skill to use because if experts says it something that help them greatly it can help my writing instead of being dull it can help me add some type of excitement for the reader who will be reading my writing. I can read differently now ask myself is this what I want to do, try it in my own writing, see how it goes and the effects it can have in readers.

Yes, there was something I notices in Bunn’s article that I would like to try to do in my own writing it was the language the formal or informal writing. I want too do this because there is a difference between how to say a sentence and how to really say it based on the wording  and details to it. I want to see when I should use the formal writing and use the informal writing when to make my writing fancier and more interesting rather than just a sentence long which no one will find intriguing. Also the type of vocabulary will help make my writing language be more excelling than shallow. This choices can help in the overall structure of my writing or just change of a small single word can be consider an effective choice in my writing.

1. Carrie Hall

Nice, thoughtful work, Carmen! The single best thing a person can do for their own writing is… to read, which it seems like you do a lot of. Another thing we can do is, to read our own writing out loud, either to ourselves, or better yet, to another person. Does it sound good? Does it make sense– this will help you build those longer sentences you’re working on!