Hall English 1101 Fall 2020

Read like a writer

In the article How to read like a writer by Mike Bunn, he states how we all read like a writer essentially. He goes on to explain that to be an author one must try to understand the actions of writers, and what they put in their text to get a deeper understanding.

Bunn states that initially he was unaware of how much detail went in to writing, and that every decision you make could influence the readers interpretations of the text. I utilize words everyday whether that’s me doing assignments or even simply sending texts. I’m even an author when I’m making a post on social media. This is simply due to the fact that I have control over what i write. Essentially I write everything with a purpose and with a specific way i want others to interpret it. However others could interpret what i say differently, although I’m the author and craft what i say others might not read into that. This is why Bunn states that in order to read like a writer you must try and understand what went into an Authors writing

One thing i noticed in Bunns article that i would utilize is his self awareness. With the way i write a lot of it is me just writing what i think, and when you think you don’t have the ability to really ponder what you’re writing. I believe taking awareness over what I’m writing and how it might come off to the person reading is important. This led him to his conclusion that we are all authors, a phrase that i 100% agree with. Another thing i believe i would utilize is understanding a writers thought process as i am reading their their texts. It not only might influence my point of view but help me to become a better writer and author myself.

1. Carrie Hall

Great response, Hasani. You’re very right– we’re authors in all that we write– online, etc… And also, we can learn from authors all around– even those we hate. I like your writing voice– nice work!