Hall English 1101 Fall 2020

Source Entry

Trowers, Ian. “Army Training.” Army University Press, Ian Trowers, 21 Aug. 2019,

The first source entry in the article that I used is by the Army university press. In this article, I read about army training and their wars. The article was written by Ist Sgt. Ian Trowers. He wrote on August 21, 2019. 

In army training, every soldier should be ready to do anything for his country. Specifically, in this training, there is no choice of losing. Every single time whatever you will do you have to win it either win it or either die doing it therefore there is no point in losing anything “in the Warfare as well as in life. The article also talks about the war in Afghanistan and Iraq. In both countries US Army sharpened their counterinsurgency skills by recruiting new soldiers and sending them there to get more skilled. In this training a lot of counterinsurgency mission rehearsal conducted. So that’s how each and every single soldier knew he’s weak and strong point therefore in these trainings they overcome their weak point and make it strong.

In the article. I got some of my answers and a lot of information. A quote where it says “The Army is a profession. Competent and confident leaders are a prerequisite to the successful training of ready units. It is important to understand that leadership training, development, and certification are integral parts of unit readiness. Leaders are inherently Soldiers first and should be technically and tactically proficient in their own basic Soldier skills”. In this quote, I understand that to train men to be a good soldier you also need a brilliant trainer who can train them extraordinary. It opened y mind widely to think more about the training of a soldier. 

Furthermore, I think in my research question I have to be more accurate like what I really want to know about army training for example it can be like combat training survival training, etc. this article really gave me a wide thinking about my research question. 

1. Carrie Hall

Mian, I think we should meet to talk about your question. As I have said throughout, simply researching the training of a soldier is not enough for this project. With a research project, I think you have to investigate something a little more than just finding out a list of facts– you need a deeper question. I know a lot of soldiers you could talk to and interview about their experiences– I know people who went to Afghanistan and Iraq.

You say you got a lot of information– but this is the place to PUT that information, and I don’t see any of it here. I’m worried, as I said in my last comments, that you’re on the wrong track. You’re not getting into any specifics. What specifically does a soldier need to be “Extraordinary?” What does that mean? What can go wrong? You say your mind was opened more widely– what do you mean by that? How was your mind opened? I want to be clear: I don’t have a specific goal for what I want you to say here, but I do want you to dig a bit more deeply. I think it will help us to talk.