Hall English 1101 Fall 2020

A talk to teachers

A Talk to Teachers by James Baldwin explains to the readers that kids should not be forced into the beliefs of others. He tells the readers that kids should have a chance to come into the world with an open mind. Meaning they should be able to hear different stand points on topics, So they would not be forced into believing what others want them to believe.When he says the world is larger that is his way of saying that there is way more than the teachers let on. It is up to the teachers job to inform, but not force things onto the kids.He also explains the struggles of living in a world where people told him, and black individuals it was not meant for them.He broadcast to the world the fears, and the sacrifices that many black individuals faced due to the way they was taught, and brought up.HE explains that many black kids, have been raised into fear, and the stereotypes that we have been given based on the facts that the white man has made it pretty known that they want us to struggle. We are born into shackles in which we have been taught from young that we should not do certain things, because of the way we look. We are all taught things in which as we grow up sticks with us, but when you are a child living a in a world with an open mind it gives us a chance to explore the things for ourselves, and chose are own paths.In all honesty I believe that James Baldwin is absolutely right. As a black woman in this world I was told by my parents all the time to not speak a certain way, not dress a certain way, and when talking to a person who is not black I should “talk like you got some damn sense”. While in school my teachers all said the we should fight for what we believe is right, but never fell through with it. They told us to fight for what we believed what was right without telling us what may happen or what can be an outcome. They tell us to keep calm in the yes of the man who abuse their power, and to keep quiet for are sake but in the end while we keep quiet we still receive this unwanted press which label us as monsters when are only goal is to live equally.

1. Carrie Hall

D, this is very heartfelt and heartbreaking. I’m not sure what you want to research– maybe starting with the law or inequality in the law? Or racial inequality in media representations?