Hall English 1101 Fall 2020

What Changed My Views on Education

Math was never my ally but a curse that follows me until this day. The pain it causes me is like a degenerative brain condition. It started in 5th grade when I encountered fractions, mixed numbers and decimals which was tough but tolerable. Then 8th grade, the pain grew moderate. Not only was the concept of algebra not being understood, but my teacher seemed to take joy in antagonizing the students who were struggling which included me. In the end, I failed but at least most students and their parents knew, including mines, that my 8th grade math teacher was just as accountable. That was half the battle I endured which was a losing effort at the end of middle school. It started to grow more frustrating for me as I had to go through more rounds of algebra in high school starting in freshman year following me to junior year. The struggle was different because I almost could not afford to mess up this subject or else my graduation could’ve been in jeopardy. For instance the regents took me until for my fourth attempt to get an appropriate grade to graduate. The downside is I did not get college ready which brings me here to remedial in college where I hopefully break this hex once and for all.

1. Carrie Hall

Casimir, nice writing style! So this reads like the introduction to a scene (and a good one). I do hope we’ll be able to see some actual concrete, significant details of the classroom. Remember, I asked for a specific experience, so you don’t want to just reflect on your experiences with math as a whole.