Notes:

• Identifying choices the author made
  • Understanding the choices to improve my writing
  • Carefully examining the things you read is the key idea
  • “You are reading to learn about writing.”
  • College students using RLW is a new way to read
  • “You are already an author, and that means you have a built-in advantage when reading like a writer.”
  • Considering context that has to do with assignment and the reading
  • Marking up text is what should be written while reading
  • Asking yourself questions when reading text

Questions:

In his article, Mike Bunn writes “You are already an author.” He’s talking to you.  What do you think he means by this?

By stating, “You are already an author” he means that my story has begun. Stories stem from the exposition and go up where the climax is to reach the resolution. Another way to compare is the time of day. My morning is kind of like an exposition, followed by the afternoon that has climax on what I’m doing in the middle of the day, and the resolution which is the evening.

What are some of the things you write already? How will that existing expertise help you in your college reading and writing career?

In earnest, I don’t write that much on my own. I mostly write based on school assignments given to me. I do like to analyze lyrics of songs to get a feel of what the artist is singing or rapping about, to make a point in my head that the artist is talking about a subject I can understand and learn more about. This existing expertise can help me in my college reading and writing career is that whatever context I am reading, I can analyze it, jot down notes, and make self to self connections or self to world connections.

Was there anything you noticed in Bunn’s article that you would like to try to do in your own writing? What, in particular? Please be specific!

I noticed that in Bunn’s article that I would like to try  to do in my writing is ask myself questions as I’m reading. Bunn says, “It is helpful to continue to ask yourself questions as you read like a writer. As you’re first learning to read in this new way, you may want to have a set of questions written or typed out in front of you that you can refer to while reading.” Overall, if I can grasp this concept more, I can automatically locate answers from questions I made in my head.