Networking

In classes at City Tech many, if not all, HMGT professors have mentioned the importance of networking. Remember, you are among the future leaders in our industry.

In the Shared Reading the authors mention “Developing Learning-Oriented Relationships”. As you progress in your internship keep the importance of networking in your mind but focus on developing a network that allows you and others to learn as you grow because we all need to grow, even those of us with many years experience!

The path you will follow this semester and for years to come, will be at times difficult to maneuver but rewarding none the less. In class we spoke about our own human capital but not about emotional intelligence. In what ways will you attempt to develop your emotional intelligence during your internship?

This entry was posted in Shared Reading Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Networking

1. Sally says:

In order to develop my emotional intelligence during my internship, I will have a positive attitude in whatever job/task I will be doing. Having a good attitude allows myself to have a more enjoyable time and brightens up the atmosphere better. Building confidence in what I do and confident communicating with others is important too. Communicating and learning from one another will teach me so much in this industry. In addition, I will build stronger relationship with supervisors and my colleague, not only in my department but other departments as well.

2. Greg says:

Emotional intellegence is having the ability to perceive, control, and evaluate emotions. This is especially important in the hospitality industry.
    For me developing my emotional intellegence throughout my internship is going to be an on going learning process. I will have to have a good understanding of how to read the room. I will need to be able to read the body language of multiple people and be able to interpret it in the correct way. I will need to have an understanding of the emotions. If I see a guest that is sitting there and looking around the room or moving uncomfortably in their seat it could mean a few things. It could mean that they a looking for a server or they are dissastifed with their meal. It will be up to my understanding of those emotions, to act on that as a leader or send a server over to the table.
    So for me to develop this intellegence is to engage with my supervisors, and guests. If I get to know my regulars I will be able to read their body language a lot easier then the non regulars, thus ensuring I can act in the proper way. However for the non-regulars it is up to me to engage with them get a good enough understanding from them to best accompy them.

3. Jennifer Lin says:

Emotional intelligence allows us to develop our self personally to perform the best of our capability rather it is in a professional or casual setting. During my internship I will learn how to anticipate, be personal, knowledgeable, empower, patient, and provide a positive energy. While interning I will anticipate what I should do in order to provide better support for the team. I will learn to be personal and approach my supervisor in a professional and patient manner. While gaining a lot of experience at my internship, I will try my best to support the team with my knowledge creating the “resource-exchange.” This will then create a positive and a better communication work environment. While engaging with a diverse team I will be able to connect and learn from each one of them and their stories; thus it will help me develop my emotional intelligence.

4. Stephanie says:

In order to develop my emotional intelligence during my internship I would have to be more confident about myself when I’m doing my work. I will also try to be pay attention to all the instructions not only because I will avoid mistakes but also because it will make me feel more confident. This will also make the people I will work with, feel that I can be a good teammate by being professional and helpful when needed. During my internship I will also develop my emotional intelligence by working with a positive attitude and motivation to learn more every day.

5. Peggy Z. says:

Starting a new position is exciting but often intimidating. We enter an unfamiliar environment and will be judged. It’s important to remain true to yourself and stay consistent. Emotional intelligence is the ability to recognize one’s own and other people’s emotions. One of the most important things to do is being a great listening. Especially in the customer service environment, we want to learn and know more about our guests. The more information they release to us, the better we can serve them. Being a good listener and knowing what to do with the information they provide to us is crucial. When we enter a new environment, we will meet all sorts of people. We will get along with some more than others. It’s important to listen and learn from others, whether we may agree with it or not, we listen because there is always something we can learn and take away. I will attempt to develop my emotional intelligence by remaining true to myself and being open-minded. I will get along with everyone but I also understand that I will get along with some more than others. It’s important to be respectful and professional to everyone that I encounter.

6. Moemu Seo says:

According to Psychology Today, emotional intelligence is defined as, “the ability to identify and manage your own emotions and the emotions of others.”

Emotional intelligence -or lack of- as measured in the workplace is something I dealt with repeatedly in every job I have ever held. Fortunately, I can say for myself that it is something I’ve improved significantly in over the course of the last few years.

I try to base my decisions on logic as much as possible but every now and then my emotional tendencies seem to slip away. (i.e, “No crying in the kitchen.” said many chefs.) I’m also very anxious, and at times, find myself drowning in self-doubt.

I’ve cultivated a few ways to deal with my very own neuroticism throughout the years:

If I’m unsure of something, I ask for help in a clarified and calm manner, and to the right people. Meaning, if my direct supervisor is someone who sees asking too many questions as a sign of weakness, I go to a co-worker who may know the answer. If it’s still unclear, I ask a different supervisor after my shift or in a cordial email.

There’s always going to be at least one person in every workplace who choose to not like me for whatever biased or unbiased reason they’ve come up with. I’ll try to get to know them and find some common grounds- if that doesn’t work, I deal with them sometimes by not dealing with them at all. I’ve learned throughout the years that miserable people don’t last long in this industry. Every person I’ve bumped heads with eventually disappeared from my life (quit, got fired, whatever.)

People are attracted to positivity. Be positive. Be outgoing. But people also know when you’re being genuine and in-genuine. So be the very best version of yourself- don’t try to fake things such as laughter just to impress your manager. Always remember that the people you work with, no matter what age or position, are human just like you. HUMAN.

Lastly, this is the biggest piece of advice that has helped me get through the most: if you can keep it to yourself, it’s probably best that you should. If you have to complain, go to HR. If it’s not that serious, refer to my initial advice. Also, having a strong sense of discretion can get you very far in this industry…

With that being said, I still have a lot to work on. I define myself as a very internal human being. I tend to be reserved and rather silent at times. I quietly absorb the world around me and unfortunately, I’ve learned that some people in the workplace see that as a weakness. Sometimes I find it frustrating that our industry doesn’t embrace personality types that aren’t so Type-A. But I am trying very hard each day, in and out of the workplace (believe me!) to be as vocal as much as possible.

7. johnadamidis says:

Developing my emotional intelligence will be a vital part of my internship experience. I will have to be effective and useful to the team members who I will be assigned to work with and show management that I can be entrusted with responsibilities and projects that will help my development and objectives. Understanding the work environment and culture is essential. Nobody wants a newbie in their way slowing them down and constantly asking all the wrong question the wrong time. I will try to be mindful and understand each person’s distinguishable character traits and balance emotions with actions. Becoming accepted as a student intern that assigns responsibilities and checks up on the work done especially in a “union employee environment” will be a challenge and a useful life experience. Humbleness and empathy are key characteristics as well as listening carefully and showing to other that they are important.
    Becoming more self-aware and trying to improve little by little every day in a new working environment. Assessing myself honestly and keeping a log about all tasks done in the day along with any mistakes or things I missed and then going back and reviewing them at home will give me a better understanding of the structure and overall map of activities and procedures.

8. gldimarco says:

The description of emotional intelligence, as stated in the text, is the ability to understand our strengths and weaknesses, relate to and convey empathy to others, and motivate others through developing work relationships. All of these descriptions of emotional intelligence are constantly on my mind as I pursue my internship. To develop my emotional intelligence listening and observing intently is key. When beginning any new job listening to the direction and feedback the my bosses, peers and the clients make will strengthen my emotional intelligence. To learn you must first listen. Once I have learned how the system works, I can then analyze more accurately what are my weaknesses and strengths in the position. From learning my strengths and weaknesses I can then feel more confident in my ability as an intern and have more of a voice in my position. Developing emotional intelligence is a constant process. The more you learn the better you become at developing emotional intelligence.

9. Carline says:

In order to develop my emotional intelligence during my internship I musts be confident. I believe you have a better understanding of who you are and what you need to work on when you’re confident. I will keep calm and stay positive which can help you think and communicate more clearly. I will network to build and maintain healthy and productive relationships. I will communicate effectively which can eliminate obstacles and encourage stronger workplace relationships.

10. Vivian Ho says:

It has been said recently that one’s emotional intelligence (EQ) is really important. This attests to the importance of such human qualities and a seeking or fighting spirit with conviction.
    I determine to develop my emotional intelligence during my internship. In order to be an active self-leader, I will seek out my opportunities to learn and grow. Most people say that pay are their main motivation for working. However, I would like to use the non-pay internship opportunity as a investment to achieve truly great things and believe that steady efforts will lead me to the next path and make a foundation in my career .
    On the other hand, I would like to courage and talk with guests, employees and boss actively. Courageous and talk with people can help me to overcome anything. The cowardly, on the other hand, because of my lack of courage, fail to savor the true, profound joys of the internship. Also, I will be tolerant and broad-minded with a warm approachability make employees feel relaxed and comfortable to work with me together in a team. Going to do my best to greet everyone at work cheerfully. It can expand our circle of trust and good relationship in the workplace.Moreover, I will remind myself never forget the spirit to work for others rather than only what I want to become in the job. I would like to listen to guests carefully and help them with actions.

11. Tory says:

Developing my emotional intelligence over the next two months at my internship job will prove how capable I am in the future to hold a supervisory or management position. I must remain confident in my capabilities at all times as I have shown that I can work independently without direct supervision most of the time. Coming into work with a professional attitude and zest about the day’s work is vital to the growth of the company. I will effectively convey and communicate with my head chef and the guests of the cooking classes at all times. I will make sure things are running smoothly and if situations arise that are out of my control, I will notified my head chef immediately. I will learn and observe as much as possible about the business so one day I could become a full-time chef here or possibly use my experience here for other future endeavors. I believe after my internship, I can evaluate and analyze more accurately my experiences and my new swot analysis.

12. Eddie Bouret says:

In what ways will you attempt to develop your emotional intelligence during your internship?

In order to build and develop my emotional intelligence I will have an open mind about my experience at my internship. Also stay positive which will help keep my fellow coworkers positive as well. One thing I will attempt to do is not second guess myself, and the best way to go about doing this is asking questions to ensure that I’m doing the job accordingly but at the same time go with my instincts. This will help build up my confidence.