Supa Dupa Fly: LGBTQ+ Hip-Hop Til Infinity Fashion Show

On May 7th, I attended the Supa Dupa Fly Event held at the Academic Complex Theater at City Tech. 

I was responsible for creating a Sign-In sheet and having attendees sign it, managing the Gender & Sexuality promotional table, and helping guide the attendees to the theater. 

Attendees were amazed at the G&S table and wanted to take photos. I handed out free G&S tote bags for whoever wanted them, and they were a big hit! We also had a raffling system for whoever signed in, and two winners received a signed book from our guest speaker, Dr. Shante Paradigm Smalls.

During my free break period, I watched a few minutes of the show and listened to two beautiful poets recite their poetry. Since I’m a poet, I felt inspired and moved while listening to the poems.

The models walking down the alley to show off their designs was a surreal sight. Many beautiful pieces were shown on the runway. Not only were the models wearing the fashion major student’s designs, but there was also a showroom surrounded by students’ textile work. I could see the creativeness of every design shown while I walked through the showroom. 

I am grateful to have been involved in this event, and I can’t wait to attend more!