This Book Here

This story to me was a much more interesting, i didn’t see it as the gothic that we are use to reading in class but it was a suspenseful story. As the narration went on the book really turned captured and made me want to keep reading to find out what happened next. The beginning of the book to end was a great story. When reading this story I often found myself relating it back to Frankenstein, with he the chemical mixture and trying to create something new. While Victor found joy and beauty in taking apart dead bodies and making a creature, Hyde was very comfortable in the fact that he looked like a monster and embraced it. Also when Jekyll says that he finds himself going out and trying to fix the damage that was caused by Hyde, relates back to Victor choosing to chase after the creature and kill it instead of confessing to what he did and trying to make everything right again. One thing i didn’t expect was that the story would come to an end so quickly. During Dr. Layon’s narrative the story was very suspenseful and made me want to read into it more but i didn’t think that the story would just end with that type of confession I thought there was going to be more narration with Mr. Utterson after finding out that Hyde was Jekyll. But in the end it was still a good book, it was gothic in its own way and has been the most interesting read for me.

This entry was posted in Response 6. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to This Book Here

1. It’s funny because I dont see a lot of the stories we have read as “Gothic” either. I view, or viewed them, as horror stories and the like. I said it before that gothic to me meant architecture. I guess we know more than we realize huh? I also see a lot of similarities in Frankenstein with a few differences. I feel this book was an evolution of the previous stories, taking their tropes and going to another level. It takes the Gothic formula, and tweaks it into its own creature, making this story a classic.