Critical Response 3

During chapters 17-22, a lot of important events happened. I must say that I found these scenes to be the most exciting in the book because I finally started to see action with the monster. Victor was undecided whether to create the female monster or no; he decided to start this new creation, but he got scared of the consequences that this creation might have and he later destroyed his work in progress. I think that in a way Victor is a murderer because he destroyed this new creature and as a result the monster decided to take revenge by killing Henry. So in a way Henry’s death was Victor’s fault too. Another important moment that I found interesting is when the monster said to Victor: “I shall be with you on your wedding-night.” This moment is scary to Victor and creates suspense because Victor is planning to marry Elizabeth and as we already know, the monster wants to hurt Victor by killing all the people who are valuable to his creator. Later in the chapter 22, Victor married Elizabeth and planned to fight the monster because he knows that eventually the monster will end up destroying his whole family.

In my opinion, it is really sad that Victor is losing all his relatives and his friend Henry, but in a way is like a punishment for all the bad things that he did (including creating the monster and not doing anything to save the innocent Justine). Victor never took responsibly for his acts and as a result, he is paying the consequences.

This entry was posted in Response 3. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Critical Response 3

1. I like how you point the fact that this is sort of Karmatat is coming back to Victor; he thinks he can just be this narcissistic individual who creates life but is selfish to acnowledge. Now Victor is some what terrified and wants to fight the monster at his wedding. Also like you said Victor never takes responsibities for any of his actions which in result he is paying the consequences.

-Briana Estrada

2. JorgeP says:

I agree how you consider Victor losing all of his loved ones as a punishment for the things he has done. One thing that i disagree with is that when you said creating the creature was a bad thing. I feel like the creature being created wasn’t the reason for all the murders but more like Victor deny him the affection he needed.

3. marvi krifca says:

I agree with what you wrote because if Victor Frankenstein would have created a companion for Frankenstein the creature, he would not be in trouble and everyone would be safe and there would be no death. Victor Frankenstein is the one that should be blamed and not the creature.