Critical Response 2

I think the book, Frankenstein by Mary shelly,  is really interesting and I really enjoy reading it. Since I started reading this book, I find myself wanting to know more of what is going to happen next. The readings from this week (Chapters 5 to 10) are really interesting and the part where Victor is describing the monster is a good example of a gothic moment. For example, when Victor describe the monster saying that the monster has “watery eyes, that seemed almost of the same colour as the white sockets in which they were set, his shrivelled complexion and straight black lips.” These lines in the book made me imagine the monster as a horrible creature, especially when he said “straight back lips.” We can see another example as gothic in the way that Victor sees the monster after the death of his younger brother (William). We can see that this monster (created by Victor) symbolizes horror because of its dreadful appearance, and also terror as it stalks Victor and his family.

Another moment I found interesting is in chapter 10, when Victor decides to visit the mountain because he thinks that the view of nature found in this mountain will refresh him and will make him feel better after feeling so sad and regretful for the death of his brother. Victor described this place by saying the following: “They elevated me from all littleness of feeling, and although they did not remove my grief, they subdued and tranquillised it (page 101).” We could see this visit as an example of a positive and hopeful thought because he believes that nature is capable of giving happiness and changing the way someone feels.

This entry was posted in Response 2. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Critical Response 2

1. king says:

I agree with what you said because what Frankenstiens decription of him gave me the feeling of (what I can call a being) a sense of horror at what he really is. Because he already killed once, and shown from how he was acting it can imply that Frankenstien is getting smarter, and will continue to haunt Victor, and his family. The example you gave of how Victor try to relax gave a very good insight into the setting of where he was at, and where the story is at.

2. Valery says:

The description of the monster in particular is a brilliant example of Gothic because on one hand it captures the tone of the monster being frightening but it goes even further into the uncanny because all these parts are that of a human being, but different and strange. The watery eyes are brilliant because as people we frequently comuicate through our eyes and other facial features and here they are presented as being being empty in a sense.