Response 1

The “Castle Of Otranto”  is unlike anything I have ever read. It is the ancestor of all Gothic Literature.  Being the first of it’s kind, It brought new ideas and introduced a genre of literature that would shape a whole new Gothic culture. The story infuses reality with supernatural events which creates a gloomy setting and overall eerie tone to the story. The story encompasses everything you would associate with a Gothic work of literature; an old haunted castle, an atmosphere of mystery and suspense, supernatural events, damsels in distress, curses, and death. It doesn’t take very long into the book to encounter the first death. Young Conrad, son of the Prince Manfred dies from being crushed by a giant helmet. The women in this story as with other Gothic literature at this time were often shown as weak, corrupted and treated badly in comparison to their male counterparts. Prince Manfred tosses his wife Hippolita to the side because she can not birth him a heir, so he decides to marry his dead sons fiancee, Isabella. This shows how little power women held in Gothic literature which most likely reflected the reality of that time period. Other Gothic elements that are present are the supernatural events that occur throughout the story. Prince Manfred discovers that the castle is cursed and the scene where blood drops from the nose of Alfonso’s statue. There is also mentions of ghosts throughout the story which might have brought fear to the people who have not read anything like this during that time period. I personally didn’t find this piece very scary.

This entry was posted in Response 1. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Response 1

1. Very well said, I think you’ve captured most of the key ideas or themes, as well as, the main plot scenes that were presented to the reader throughout the story, which implies it to be from the Gothic culture. I would like to agree to what you stated, in not finding this piece particularly scary, but it’s probably due to the fact that some of the features portrayed in this story has been seen before in other works of literature, not necessarily from the Gothic genre.

2. JorgeP says:

I agree with what you said about the women in this story. They really did portray the women as weak, I think this because they wanted to show how it feels to the reader to be powerless and how scary it could be for you. I also think the story wasn’t that scary but that is probably because, as Carmen said, we have seen alot of these concepts in not just literature but in things like movies and TV shows.

3. BDingle says:

Even though we who live in the 21st century don’t find some of the scenes but in he area that this book was published things such as ghosts and curses did exist, so with this book being the first of its kind, it really grasps the ideas of horror, and over the years it has been amplified as people’s fears evolved