Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - OL78 | Fall 2020

“Micro-Activity #21: Reflecting and Building the Portfolio”

I think what I mostly learned in this class are the steps of writing an assignment. First learning about the type of the assignment and its features, choosing a topic, searching for good resources for inspiration and information, then choosing a genre and writing strategies that will be most efficient for the chosen genre and targeted audience. I learned also to break one big assignment into small pieces which gives me more time to think and organize it, and when it’s the time to submit the major assignment, I have it all already but have only to put it together.

I hated reading and writing in English because it’s my second language and I am not so comfortable using it and expressing my thoughts easily. As from the beginning of the semester we used to read about different topics and write twice a week it became more easy and I kind of get used to it and it’s not that hard anymore.

What I learned about myself as a writer that it’s hard for me to write a full assignment without organizing my ideas in a form of mind map, like writing the assignment topic in the center and then the main ideas of each paragraph. It’s like a summary that helps be focus more and keep me on track.

Small pieces I will include in my portfolio:

“Micro-Activity #2: Introduction to Discourse”

It was a big step for me for understanding the meaning of the discourse community. We read an example about the discourse community and responded to some quotes on it. I think what was hard is thinking what are the discourse communities I am belonging to and do we have same target? what is our communication method?

“Micro-Activity #12: Researching”

This assignment was interesting giving me the opportunity to write about any issue I want to show or learn more about. There were a lot of topics I am interested in but I chose to write about gender inequality in the workplace. Focusing on one question only to search for its answer was a little bit hard because the gender inequality is a major problem that has a lot of forms, but fortunately I found the sources that exactly answers my question “How does gender equality affect women in the work place and how can this be prevented?”

1. Ruth Garcia

This is an excellent start! I especially like this: ” I learned also to break one big assignment into small pieces which gives me more time to think and organize it, and when it’s the time to submit the major assignment, I have it all already but have only to put it together.”