Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - OL78 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity #17: Choosing a Discourse Community

Summarizing what I said in my conclusion my research seemed to focus more on the treatment of Mexican immigrants in the American Agriculture industry. My research helped me learn that Mexican immigrants are an ethnic group of people that work no matter the conditions, no matter the payment as long as they are getting something to help provide for their families they are grateful. I also learned that this is also the reason they are targeted the most by farm employers, the workers can’t complain, they can’t fight back, and they are threatened easily, these workers can’t afford to lose their jobs. The discourse community that I believe would benefit from my research would be the undocumented workers and their families, this discourse community would benefit the most because most of the time these undocumented workers tend to have their kids in this country so it would be helpful to those kids to know they could do something to help their parents, also to be aware of how they are being treated and that they are not alone.  I want to say they should have a certain amount of knowledge on the subject since they are the ones experiencing this treatment but I do believe their knowledge may only revolve around their community, they may not know of everything happening nationwide. Some assumptions, expectations, and concerns they may have what kind of resources are available for them in their communities, what would happen to them if they decided to speak up, and how can their native-born kids could help without running the risk of endangering their parents. I think the best method for my discourse community would either be a video or a poster like image using both Spanish and English words, these methods would help deliver my research and information in a way that if they were to come across with my information they would understand it and find it helpful.

1. Ruth Garcia

I love the idea of the bilingual text–this is exactly right for the discourse community you’re choosing. And it seems your goal is to inform them and those in their community who might be able to help of their rights–is this correct? And if so, is this the information you found in your annotated bib? Be sure your goals align with your information and if you aren’t sure, come see me during office hours or make an appointment and we can brainstorm together.

• Jayme Campos

I would find it very helpful if I had a meeting with you Professor where can I find your office hours and how can I set an appointment with you?

• Ruth Garcia

Hi Jayme. My office hours are Monday 3-4 and Thursday 12-1. The link for them are in the announcements section of this site. If you can’t find them, send me an email at RGarcia@citytech.cuny.edu and I’ll send you the link. Come tomorrow (Thursday 11/5) if you can. And if office hours don’t work, then send me an email and we’ll find another time to meet.