Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - OL78 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity #13: Drafting the Annotations

Denchak, Melissa “How You Can Stop Global Warming”  NRDC, July 17,2017 https://www.nrdc.org/stories/how-you-can-stop-global-warming , accessed 16 Oct 2020.

The article titled “How You Can Stop Global Warming” by Melissa Denchak outlines the many ways in which global warming can be slowed down and or delayed. The article goes into detail about the many of the possible methods that can be used in order to contribute to slowing down global warming. These methods include spreading awareness about global warming, powering your home with clean and renewable energy (such as solar),  weatherizing your home by using alternative heating and cooling method to reduce emissions, using more energy-efficient appliances, reducing wasted water, wasting less food to reduce landfill, purchasing LED bulbs, or better lightbulbs in general, unplugging unused devices as well as putting them on a power-saving mode, driving a hybrid or fully electric vehicles, properly maintaining your vehicle, walking and taking fewer planes, and purchasing a carbon offset. The main point of the article is to show the ways that carbon emissions can be reduced, while maintaining a relatively  normal lifestyle. It takes a little amount of effort in order to make a difference in the next couple years. 

Personally, I agree with this article. All of the points the writer made were pretty accurate. The only thing I feel a bit questionable about is the part in which the article is asking the readers to take a train rather than take a plane. One would think that interstate railroads would give off a lot of carbon emissions as well, due to the amount of carbon emission that would have to be exerted in order to pull several train carts.

There would be some other additional information that I would have to look up in order to better understand this topic. Some of the information that I would have to look up would include “what would be the effects of biking” and , “is living in a city, the suburbs, or a rural area more beneficial for helping climate change?”. This document tells me a lot about my research question because it provided several answers to my question.

1. Ruth Garcia

What is here, is good. But here are some things that are missing and that need revising.
    Missing:
    1. The rest of your annotation–the evaluation also needs to address the genre and author’s writing style.
    2. The quotations–even if you embed some into your summary or evaluation, you should have a couple at the end of the annotation that you find important and are keeping track of for yourself.
    To think about: What is NRDC? I took a quick look and it seems to be an organization. But did you look them up? Are they reputable and creditable? Who writes for them?