Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - OL78 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity #12: Researching

I got interested after watching a Tiktok video of a lady owing more than she thought. I always hear people in their 60s and older still paying their student debts. It becomes a burden to them and it gets annoying. I’m interested in this topic due to its major effects on American citizens. Unfortunately their only option, financially, is to take out a loan to pursue their degrees and future jobs. It is hard enough for many to get a job after graduating but it is worse to fall victim to student loans and its interests. $1,000 turns into $10,000 right before their eyes and it’s difficult to get it paid off.  Another reason why I’m interested in this topic is that I am a college student as well. Before the pandemic, travel expenses to and from school were expensive, getting food from a restaurant or store is expensive, especially in Downtown Brooklyn. Textbooks that are beneficial to a class can range from $100-$300 or more. I found some answers to one of my questions. One question that I asked is: why should college be free for all? According to collegeraptor.com, a positive point to the free college of all is if there’s no tuition, more low-income students might reach graduation, which results in high graduation rates. Many students who can’t afford class may drop out and will take longer to complete their studies. If they don’t see any charges, it will motivate them, academically. Usually majors that are extremely competitive and popular like nursing, doctor, biology will carry more lucurative charges. Seeing those charges increase per class and textbook can be overwhelming for those who can’t afford it. Then, they will think if it is worth going to college or worth getting a loan.

1. Ruth Garcia

Where is the finalized research question? Is it the question about why college should be free?
    Also, this information is free writing that you can draw from for the introductory section of your annotated bibliography. A couple of things to keep in mind are that a person coming to your annotated bibliography needs to be drawn in and given a lot of context so they know what you are talking about and why. They also need to understand your thought process at the beginning of your research and what you expected to find in response to your question.
    The other thing you are missing here, that is essential for this annotated bibliography, is your hypothesis. This research project is for you to discover information. You should not already know what you will find. I also wonder if you need to rethink your question. From the information you have here, it strikes me that the information you are interested in is about social equity and education but also in certain professions. Perhaps you could ask: How can colleges work to create social equity for economically disadvantaged students?