Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - OL78 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity #11: Developing Research Questions

Topic: Child abuse on child development

“Impact on Child Development.” Impact on Child Development – Child Welfare Information Gateway – Child Welfare Information Gateway, www.childwelfare.gov/topics/can/impact/development/. 

• There are psychological, physical, behavioral and societal impacts on a child
  • “toxic stress is the strong, unrelieved activation of the body’s stress management system in the absence of protective adult support.” 
  • “Toxic Stress Derails Healthy Development.” Center on the Developing Child at Harvard University, 17 Aug. 2020, developingchild.harvard.edu/resources/toxic-stress-derails-healthy-development/.
  • Body quickly returns to normal once the stress is relieved (once the child gets some sort of stress then the whole body reacts, stress response is activated, increased stress hormone levels, then once the child receives emotional support then the stress levels go down and body comes down to normal.)
  • When there is an abuse or ongoing stress on the child, the stress hormone keeps getting released and the body stays on stress state all the time
  • If child doesn’t receive emotional support from the caretaker for a long period of time then it activates the stress response system
  • Neuro connections gets reduced if the child is exposed to prolonged stress 

Summary:

There are many side effects on child development when a child is abused by adults. At first I want to identify what actually happens within the body when the child is stressed out. Then I want to further along discuss how the child abuse effect and changed the way child acts. Additionally, I want to discuss how child sufferers psychologically, socially, and emotionally. There are many studies done by credible sources that gives deep meaning on how child abuse impacts the child. 

1. How does child abuse effect child development?
  2. What are some reasons that lead to caretakers, or parents to abuse their children?
  3. How could child abuse be prevented?
  4. In what ways can government get involved on preventing child abuse?

1. Ruth Garcia

I think these are all good questions. Pick any you want –I don’t have any concerns about them not working for you.