Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - OL78 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity #10: Brainstorming Research Topics

Topics I’m intersted in learning more about:

1.  Treatment towards Hispanic Immigrants- This topic is one that really interests me because this one hits close to home, having a family that is undocumented has made me realize the struggles they face in day to day life and how they are treated differently from everybody else. 

2.   Rights of farm and factory workers- The rights of farm and factory workers have always been an issue, they do the most and receive the least and for this is why this topic interests me. 

3.  Modern-Day Slavery- I actually started learning about this in my Spanish class and it’s a topic that really stood out to me because I feel that many people don’t realize that there is still a form of slavery that still exits. The rights of people are still not being respected and I’m talking about basic human rights.  

4.  Education in lower-income communities- Having a proper education in a lower-income community has always been difficult. Funding is an issue and these children’s parents can’t afford to send their kids to private schools. Dropout cases are also larger in these communities. 

5.  Femicide- Being a woman in today’s world has become dangerous and cases of femicide worldwide have been increasing. Being a woman myself my safety has become a concern and I think it’s an issue that is not talked about as much. 

6.   Arranged Marriages- In certain cultures around the world arranged marriages are still an ongoing issue, this topic interests me because the concept of forcing someone into a marriage is cruel and many of the times it’s a child marrying someone older.

1. Ruth Garcia

Excellent start. I would say that you have the most specificity for 1, 2, and 3. This is good because you can then read around a bit and develop questions you really want to know more about.